Latest addition to the fleet...

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby lazflyn » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:16 am

George,

Yes, it happened again. I ran over my foot. This makes three times that I have done that. I've tried to be careful. Most of the time I don't need brakes. Without swivel tailwheels though, it gets interesting turning sometimes. I think I've experienced all I want to experience with the series 2 gear. I've flipped more than I care to admit, ruined my p-tips, crumpled a spar box, and now screwed up my ankle. So enough is enough. I love flying the Lazair, but I HATE it on the ground.

I've got most of the Lazair brake parts, but I don't have everything. It's been on the list of things to do for awhile now, but now it has bumped up to number one. My plane is grounded until I install real brakes and get rid of my Nike brakes. :blink:

Keep us updated on your progress. If you ever want some air to air photos, give me a call.

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairiii » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:09 pm

Tyler...and anyone else needing long Nacell bolts. I can get the AN4-80A bolts (non-drilled shank or head). They are not cheap though, and I have a minimun order I have to place of 24 bolts at $27.44ea. That's a bunch considering those of us that use this method will use (4) bolts per plane. If you are interested, I'd say we should get together and make one order. If we don't have enough for an order, we'll have to figure something else out.

Please e-mail me at gcurtis@excelgraphics.com if you want to be placed on a list to see if we make the minimum count.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:10 pm

I was just informed that you can get these long bolts at Wicks aircraft for about $15.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/pr ... 40LTgwQQ==

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:32 pm

George,

For hard to find aircraft hardware in small quantities, Charley Vogelsong is the best source I've ever found. His prices are not always the absolute lowest, but he usually has what I need in stock, and will sell small quantities. That's especially true of tubing, bar stock and sheet. He stocks bolt sizes that no one else does. He also has the best Chrome Moly tubing selection in the entire United Sates. He usually ships in a few hours of placing an order. Last time I purchased from him he think he still wasn't taking credit cards, but that's been awhile, so maybe he is now. His son supplies the automotive rod and race guys from the same location. A super guy to deal with, ONCE he knows you and has dealt with you. Unfortunately, some of the Ultralight guys stiffed him on stuff during the boom years, so he's not as liberal about shipping things out without pre-paying as he once was.

The Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
Aircraft-Race Car-Machine Shop-Raw Materials
Charles T. Vogelsong
114 Sawmill Road, Dillsburg, Pa 17019
(717) 432-4589

Chappy

PS. Your plane sure is super looking! You've been building it a lot longer than I've been on this forum, so maybe you've discussed this, but I was wondering if you've had any experience flying a Lazair?
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:58 am

Chappy,

Yes, I've been building A329 for just over 3 1/2 years, and it's good to be done. Between kids, work and what ever else seemed to always come up, it simply took that long. Besides, I refused to push it through just for the sake of time. I took my time to do it right. Besides that, I happen to love to build, and it helps me to understand the inner workings of the plane better so that I can be on top of every detail of maintainance and repairs if necessary.

To answer your question, I do have Lazair experience, both building and flying. You must have missed that early on, but I built A-686 in 1982 and flew it for over 12 years. I sold it when the kiddies started coming and It's still around and flying today!

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 pm

George,

I relate totally, what with the kids, work, and "life", and how we let it push our flying out of the picture. I've had a Lazair continuously for 25 years, but some years I've never made the time to service and fly it at all;-(

My foster son moved out last year after graduated (!) from high school, and my daughter is graduating from college (2 degrees) next month, and no doubt she will be moving out of town to be with her boyfriend soon thereafter. Although I became prematurely retired sometime ago, I find myself busier than I've ever been in my life. It's just so easy to take on too many projects at once because you think you have all this extra time.

It's good to know you have all that Lazair experience. As you may have the "last" new Lazair for so time, and you've put so much thought, time and effort into it (and we all are SOOO envious of you right now), we want you to take good care of it!

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:10 pm

Chappy,

Don't be envious. I got lucky and found an unbuilt kit in that I was able to build. I'd bet there are more out there hiding somewhere.

The thruth is that it takes a desire to make something happen and turn out nice. It also takes time and effort, and some cash too, but anyone with a Lazair can have a plane that looks like mine and some others' planes, but you have to have the mind set to do it. I had to put a lot of effort into fabricating parts, finding others and figuring out some other things, but with the right help and advice it all came together nicely. So if a nice shiny plane is what you want, and you already have a Lazair, you have the hardest part out of the way. I truely believe that with the right resources a guy could turn a neglected Lazair into something of envy. I know of a plane like that right now that was left for dead and is now one of the nicest Lazair's I've seen. It gave the owner the perfect opportunity to bring the plane back from the grave and to do all the necessary mods and clean it up like it was new. So when I see guys on here with no motivation to do much to their planes, I say so be it, because it's ones choice whether or not they want a plane that will simply fly, or a plane that folks look upon with awe. I prefer the latter and as you can see, my plane reflects that commitment. Please look at the advice given on this forum with your own desires for your plane in mind. Much is offered here that never even gets an acknowledgement let alone a "thank you". I know there are those that have simply given up on offering advice because it seems to fall on deaf ears. We have folks on the forum with a wealth of knowledge that are/were willing to share. Lets show our gratitute for that help since were are together trying to keep an aging fleet of airplanes together and flying safely.

For whatever it's worth,
George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:15 pm

too true in what George says. mine is back from the graveyard and still not quite finished and has taken much longer than i thought' but i now have something that is rare here and when i stand back and listen to the comments i know it has all been worth it. i am looking forward to taking my lazair to an airshow for it's first public outing. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:42 pm

WOW, That's a fantastic looking LAZAIR !!!! Great Job !
Shannon
SHANNON

Previous

Return to Lazair - General