engines 28/lb-25hp

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 pm

port side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am

pictures of slack in the cable from tail to fuselage, fuel tank shelf needed enlarged,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am

Fuel tank shelf
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm

lots of sharp angles there - be sure to round all corners and sand all edges. the fuel tank is the second biggest area-load next to the pilot. If you weight 150 pounds, and your (assuming) 3 gallon tank weighs 20 pounds full, then you should have 1/7th the structure to support it. considering the series I used a sling seat, your "fuel tank saddle" looks beefy enough - but just smooth it out to avoid cracking.

and those clear fuel lines - think about replacing them with the urethane lines. the clear ones become hard as rock after about a month of gas in them, and then don't seal well around the fittings.

Tyler
unsolicited advice giver next to Dave
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 pm

broke another rope - may go to steel - but the good news is the throttles are working and the fuel tank is back on board - i still need to run the engines a little more to feel confident that they will run as required-

Some of my friends come by to see if it's ready to fly yet, some are more help than others.

I'll keep an eye on those fuel lines, I was told at the time I bought tyvek were fuel lines that it was the best available. They are already turning yellow and getting hard though so thanks for the heads-up Tyler.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Work in progress pictures
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Throttle Quadrant
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Still need to make the levers
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:47 pm

It's ready to fly -- I'll take it out to the Winslow Lindberg Airport and set it up this week. I just tried to taxi and one of the tailwheel's will need some more work. But I should be able to take care of that while I'm in the final set up, I hate to take it apart and put it in the trailer but it's only a two-mile drive to the airport.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:41 am

the last check you should do is the hang check. and it looks like you should be able to do it in your shop.

the CofG should be 12" - 15" behind the leading edge of the wing. what both daffy and I did was hand our lazairs by the boom tube (centre cover removed), fill the tank with half fuel (as half the time you'll have more, half less in theory) and actually sit in the machine.

with the strap at the 12" mark, the main wheels should come off first and the tail should lift last - and at the 15" mark the plane should tip forward.

and please, be patient - wait for a morning/evening with absolutely NO WIND. for a first flight in a lazair, that single point is critical to a good experience for a first flight. no rudder pedals will be something to get used to perhaps?

have fun

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General