Lazair for sale in California

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby Shannon » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:32 pm

I was told of this aircraft years and years back. Someone (can't remember his name) knew of the plane as was really interested in buying it. The story I was told was that the plane was sitting in its enclosed trailer with small trees growing up all around it. So many trees growing up around the trailer in fact that entry into the trailer was difficult if not impossible ? Obviously the plane has continued to sit in this condition until here recently (notice all the freshly cut tree debris). Best I can figure is that "Pat" wanted to see if the plane was still in the trailer. Yep, it's still there Pat ! Maybe he will pull it back out in a few years to see how its doing. It will be a "real" restoration project in a few more years.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:57 pm

I have an idea.

Do you really want to buy it "Guest"?

I will talk to Pat and then after you look it over you can buy it OK?

Do you have the cash at hand and are ready to buy?

When can you pic it up, once your satisfied you want it?

If I arrange this to eliminate all the hassle for both parties then perhaps we can get this done, once and for all.

I wouldn't worry about him leaving it in the sticks, when you live in the high desert, there are no lawns to pull your wings out on, for pictures, and on the positive side, the military also mothballs their craft in the desert for good reason, so you can rest assured that it will age more gracefully than in a humid climate where a stored Lazair will get all rusted over.
Steel rivets and engine inards are at greatest risk....so any way you look at it, its a great deal.

Can anyone help themselves from falling in love with a Lazair....I think not!
Some are more sentimental than others....a little patience would help in this situation.

So what do you say "Guest" ...are you buying or not!

Who are you anyway??? One "Guest"??? or multiple different guests?
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:41 pm

Ray,

I was the "guest". I thought I was logged in when I posted the reply earlier, sorry that doesn't settle with you.

I detect some sarcasm in your post there Ray. First of all, I did want to buy it. I made several offers that went unuttended. That was several months ago and now I am no longer in a position to do it. Secondly, no, I don't have the cash in hand at the moment...I did have it at the time but he refused to return my calls or e-mails so that money has long since gone to other hands. Thirdly, I could have driven out and picked it up at the time, but again he didn't reply back. And finally, why would you need to get in the middle of this anyway, he can certainly make a transaction by himself, can't he?

I may sound a bit agitated here, but don't go after me like I was the one that made the deal go south in the first place. I assured him that if I bought his plane it would be restored to origianl condition and taken very good care of. I am actually compiling Lazair parts not parting out with anything. So his/your story of him being nervous about having it turn into beer cans if it went to the wrong owner would be completely unfounded with the genuine offer I proposed to him.

Now, having said that and vented, I don't want to offend you here, I just want you to be certain that my intentions were completely legitimate and sincere when that original offer was made.

I admire your willingness to go forth with the CDI mod and be the guinea pig for the group. You have my respect for that.

I'll be sure to log on before posting again so no one gets confused who "guest" might/could be.

George Curtis
Utah
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby senna12625 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:43 am

As I understand the situation regarding Pat's reluctence to deal with George was that Pat specifically advertised that he wanted someone local in the SoCal area for a buyer. He was willing to let the Lazair AND the custom fully enclosed trailer go for a song... $1000... but the trailer had sat for such an extended time that the bearings and tires were suspect and he wanted the prospective buyer to personally inspect and determine just what was needed to allow safe towing to get it to it's new home.

George was the first to repond and apparently in his negotiations asked Pat to lower the price because of the distance he would be coming from... Utah. Be fair now George... calling someone a goof ball for not wanting to deal with you when clearly you did not fullfill Pat's buyer's criteria AND voicing a request to further lower the selling price is probably why Pat turned a deaf ear.

I too attempted to purchase this aircraft... however I live in Oregon and that too is NOT local to So. California. No sale to this prospective buyer either... but I understand and accept the reason.

Steve
Crooked River Ranch, OR
senna12625
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:43 pm

Steve don't you think Pat is making a few too many unrealistic stipulations on the sale of his plane. I don't fault George for trying to barter a bit on the plane. It's the right of the owner to refuse a lower offer and stand firm. It is not quite right however to leave someone hanging or simply flat ignore someone because they no longer meet your stipulation code. I know for a fact that if Pat was looking for a good owner then George would have been that person. In my mind the worst enemy of the plane is Pat himself. What Pat should do is cut the plane up into small pieces and chunk it in the garbage. This way he will not have to suffer the agony of watching it slowly degrade into a greater piece of junk then what it is now. Maybe someone can convince Pat to donate the plane to a museum before it's too late.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby senna12625 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:51 pm

Shannon,

I can't fault Pat for having a certain criteria for the sale of his Lazair and trailer. Whether I or anyone else labels it as unrealistic is rather moot and rife for subjective interpretation. I will agree that not responding seems somewhat discourteous... however we can only surmise as to the reason. There may be underlying facts that we are not privy to... such as a computer crash, loss of files, lost email addresses etc. Name calling based on an assumption is just wrong.

When I spoke with Pat he articulated quite well the situation with the trailer possibly having repair or replacement issues that someone traveling a long distance may be unprepared to deal with or even desire to take on after making the journey... hence his desire to sell to someone more geographically desirable. I was never queried as to my intentions as the geography issue came up first in the conversation. My conversation certainly did not leave me feeling I was dealing with a goof ball or flake. On the contrary... he is extremely intelligent and well versed in almost all things related to aviation.

I commend Pat's honesty with regard to this issue of the trailer as it is a package deal... the Lazair AND trailer. He does not know the condition of the axels, bearings, or tires and only by inspection, determination and refit by the prospective buyer will the package deal roll off the property. It could prove to be a simple matter to remedy OR it might take several weeks to parts chase.

My previous post was an attempt to tone down the discussion a bit so we don't escalate the personal attacks to the point where Pat is looking more and more like a Howard Hughes.

Steve
Crooked River Ranch, OR
senna12625
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Subjective interpretation ? Here's some Subjective Interpretation for ya'.

Steve Butcher LazairFlyers:

"A friend back in California has a Series I that hasn't been touched
in 15 years. It's been stored in an enclosed trailer up at his
parents place near Apple Valley. He however has the engines
displayed in his living room back down in Long Beach. The fact that
some substantial tamarisk trees have grown up around the trailer
preventing not only moving the trailer but also opening it leaves the
question of just how this bird has fared. I'll find out this summer
when I get down there as I'm taking possession at that time... for
free! "

In the realm of Lazairs (not on a personal level) George is a Hero and Pat is a Zero ! I do hope you can still get the plane Steve. It is a shame yours burned.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazairiii » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Steve,

Of course I negociated with Pat. Just so you don't think I'm cheap for doing so; part of what I do every day is negotiations, and so for me it's natural to negociate.

My time is very limited as is yours, but after I sent my proposal top Pat, he simple vanished. I don't have the time to drive to California to make major repairs on the trailer, minor ones maybe, but if that trailer is shot, then he needs to drive out there, fix it and then put the lot up for sale. All he needed to do was say was "no thanks George", but I didn't even get that.

Communication goes a long way folks,
George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:42 pm

I feel your pain....when you want something dear to your heart its hard to wait.

But just so you dont feel so bad about it.....heres MY pain.

Im buying an Aircraft from a guy who lives in Virginia, I will need to pick up the plane from his sisters place in Florida.

We negotiated and made a deal for the price in October 2004.

Now he is waiting for the registration for the trailer to come through from Viginia.

He is in the military and goes on manuevers frequently....sometimes to the middle east....I pray for his safe return as one human to the next, and also so I can get my plane......there have been huricanes down in Florida since October.....no damage to my plane luckily.....its now Mid January and I am still waiting ....we email once a month to keep in touch....when he is on manuevers I dont get a response for many weeks.

I also had to wait 2 months after I paid to get my all my Tedlar and tapes from Naggy.....its rough waiting.

Patience is a virtue.....just hang in there.

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:05 pm

OK, George,

I just saw your detailed post about it.....I don't know Pats situation personally, but its beginning to sound like he's being a bit of a flake about it.....we have had torrential rains in CA since X-mass, so perhaps he's got bigger problems now, and has his hands full.

I guess only time will tell if he ever sells it to anyone.

I just thought I could expidite the process....being helpfull......I really dont understand it....he practically asked me to buy it from him.....maybe he wants it to stay local or something.

I didn't mean to sound sacastic....just questioning.

On another note.....the CDI conversion was a success.....the engines run great....but I'd love to find a way to get the RPM and see whats happening exactly.....any ideas of an inexpensive way to get it done.

I wonder if a car tach attached to the lighting coil would work?

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair parts for sale