Lazair For sale here on EBAY

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby ozzie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:29 pm

russell i recentley looked into doing this. it looked like it was going to pretty expensive tho. as for chainsaws look at huskvana they have a model that is big enough. also look at demolition cut off saws. all around the 1200 to 1500 dollar mark. also have a look at Desert engines they make big model engines. try also those little motor bikes and scooters that are coming out of china now. some are around 100cc. if i was a rich boy my lazair would have some of those little jet engines on it now. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:25 pm

I have no experience with the pioneer engines or the tuned exhaust pipes for them, but if you got some tuned pipes may give you that extra power you want. Right now on E-bay there are some listed for $99 US (no bids either). Just type in Lazair and you'll see them.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:47 pm

Great forum

Okay I guess I'm a little rusty about the wing loading math but I just want to be sure my old fat self is not overlooking any of the fundamentals that keep us safe and flying. I have to admit I've lingered many times on the little pulse jet information web sites, fantasizing about all the possibilities. Engine location and heat much eliminates that option for the time being.

The generators that I'm using to build my motorhome are the most god-awful noisy things one can imagine and then a friend of mine shows up with a Honda generator, approximately the same size and the difference between the Honda and the others in decibels half what mine are.

And those engines that I see at the automotive parts stores in the little motorcycles do have some possibilities don't they. I'm not up on the rotax 185 displacement horsepower, if I remember right it's somewhere around nine horsepower -- what about the weight? The picture on the main page of this web site has some mighty impressive engines with reduction gear.

I spend a lot of time on eBay Dave and the tuned exhaust the right were you said they were also as a subcategory Tedlar came up with Lazair in the search address. So I typed in Mylar and got a couple interesting items the Seattle area. What experience that I've had with Mylar, is that it is very tough though the stuff on eBay seems very thin.

As far as the engines go I will probably go with what has the best combination of performance affordability and reliability -- it sounds like 185 at the moment. My tool collection is getting pretty good and I enjoy wrenching on the engines. Though my old Mercedes has me eating humble pie right now -- too damn many special tools.

Is anyone running nitrous?

Tomorrow I'll try to make time to catalog the points to look for that might help me date this plane and its original configuration.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:10 am

nitrous? don't do it !! it will destroy alloy pistons i had it on a V8 and ended up with pistons that looked like swiss cheese. extremley corrosive.
i also have a honda genset a 20ie inverter very light it has a 100cc 4 stroke engine i was considering one of these as they are pretty cheap 300/400$ there are also clones of these as well they develope their power pretty low means new props. i was a little worried about the oil feed at high angles of attack they are a little heavier than the pioneers but they burn less fuel. i run my genset at full load 2200w and use about 4 lts in 2hrs. no oil to mix either. some models even have a redrive on them. maybe one day i'll do some tests with one. i have those old pioneers that were advertised recentley. i'll pull one to pieces over the next week or so and see if i can find some part numbers on the seals and bearings ect. they are very high time and only good for spares. ozzie
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 am

This thread has seemed to run off into a different catogory but I will mention this here anyway. Ozzie, and anyone else with Pioneers, I have a source for Pioneer engine parts. These parts are from an original Pioneer dealer and are OEM. That's right. Not used parts but new parts. He not only kept his leftover stock but bought stock from other original dealers. I just bought gasket sets including seals, piston rings and carb rebuild kits. These carb kits are complete with even the welch plugs. He says he also has many other parts like cylinders and such.
Reply to this post if interested and I'll post his contact info. tomorrow (info at home, I'm at work).

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm

What ever you do get an Electronic ignition.....its night and day with reliability of the idle etc.

Im 225 lbs and have power to spare in my Series II Lazair, so you will have no problem at all.

These Lazairs are strong and the strength is over designed by a considerable margin so they can take pretty heavy pilots.

Its also the easiest plane ever to fly.....and flys like a real plane.

The biggest danger is when taxiing since directional control is a little tricky in a x-wind but very doable if you have enough practice.

Landing is also very easy...just play with throttle to get a beautifull smooth landing every time.

Seems like a low idle adds a lot of drag and brings you down at the perfect rate.

The 185's are the best bet since there are props/mounts etc already available.

If you go with something else you are going to spend a lot of time customizing and ordering specially sized items and will probably end up costing as much as new 185's.

The 185's are available from "Wildfire Pumps" but dont tell them its for aircraft or they will refuse to sell you any!

If you shut them down before landing you will glide a lot farther as I did one time....theres the theory behind it but just trust that it works!

Your going to have a lot of fun....congrats on the purchase!

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks Ray -- that's good to know about the heavy lifting capabilities.

I looked over the wings today as they set in their cradles in the trailer and they appear to have hardly ever been flown altho there is one small ding in the leading edge of one. The other thing is that ailerons are controlled by push pull tube.

Also in a box filled with two cycle oil for the Pioneers was an address label
" Ultraflight sales LTD "
P.O. Box 370 Nugent Rd #58
Port Colborne Ontario L3K 1B7

Russell do post that address I've like to know if there any larger cylinders and heads for the Pioneers. And I guess I should move this conversation over to the appropriate forum.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:59 am

ONYA RUSSELL, here i've been seaching for over a year to find pioneer parts and you lob up and find them in a week. good one. do you think it would be possible to have him make up a full rebuild kit for them. ie full carb kit, full seal kit and rings and bearings and gaskets everything to rebuild one. does he have a price list for all the parts he carries. i'm sure the others here will be interested as well. wow what a gold mine you have found. by the way as you are worried about power have you thought of 4 engines, it has been done before with good results. :)
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:00 am

Ozzie, e-mail me- russell@brownautomatic.com
russell
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm

retracting my post....nothing important

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60