Two PLace for SALe

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby ozzie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:26 am

G'day Sparky, i just replaced all the bolts nylocks castellated nuts i purposly did not keep a record of the costs of the rebuild but i remember it coming in under 150aus. i had a supply of new control rod ends. so when you add this it would be uaround the 200 dolar mark pretty cheap insurance. jsut a little tip when you replace the control rod ends go up a size in bolt length and add a halfpenny washer. toss the nyloc and use a castellated nut and drill the bolt in situ and add a split pin. this is the preferred method on a turning bolt instead of the nyloc nut. the halfpenny washer will prevent the rod end jumping over the nut if it fails. bend one side of the washer to clear the lock nut.
ozzie

"advice is free, funerals cost money"
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Bill » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:24 am

Sparky... AN hardware has a cadmium plating that is needed for bolts that are in contact with aluminum. I used grade 8 bolts on my float set up and they rusted much more than the AN hardware... And do not use stainless steel... that is even a worse choice.. O

Aircrafr Spruce has lots of goodies and a nice catalog to get you started,,, and there are many other suppliers...

a link .... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an3.php

Bill
robinsonrecreation@hotmail.com

ps... I am so jealous of your metal shop... I have all the tools and more to build homes... wood working, plumbing, electric, painting and much more... too much... next though... I am going to put together a metal shop.... maybe even a CNC machine... I have a friend who rebuilds CNC's that companies just take to the dump...
Bill
Lazair.com Member

Postby flyalaz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Bill's right. The cad plate is what helps prevent galvanic action between two dissimilal metals from corroding the bits. And in all cases, if it is at all possible, turn the nuts only. Turning the bolt will scrape off some of the coating, and more importantly, will also start to elongate the hole the bolt is turning in.

Karl

my 2 cents
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Lazair parts for sale