redrives revisited

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby mgodwin12 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm

hey,
going ahead with a redrive for the rotax 185.
see the wanted section for more details. will post more here as they develope.
mike
mgodwin12
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:43 am

Mike asked me to post these pics of the redrive:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby mgodwin12 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:27 pm

yes the pictures of the redrives were examples. the engine shown is the same configuration that the rotax drive will have and the rotax will have a 1 inch wide belt. the rotax is four bolts. the red pulley is the actual one that we'll be using. the red mount is for some other engine but it shows the idea. the smaller hole is the one that the prop is mounted to. it is grooved so that if the bolt comes loose the prop shaft doesn't fly off. all that happens is the belt slips.
i haven't asked about anodizing but if i do i'll make it aluminum colored. probably the best thing is to ship them bare aluminum then you can either paint it or whatever.
the trouble with bolting it to any engine or at least one other than the rotax is it's designed to match the front of the crankcase.
mike
mgodwin12
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Taylaz » Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi - I had a pair of Redrives made up from Rotax Type A gearboxes adapted to the 185's. I ran them on the ground for what seemed like many hours, maybe about 5 hours or so. Also did static load tests with the engines in-situ on the wings. The props were specially made from lightweight wood, about 48" from my (bad) memory. They ran very well, no oil leaks. I just had problems with getting the fuel up to the wings (tubes too large for the carb-pumps) & the recoil, so I hand-propped them on the decompressors which worked ok on the ground.

This was for my Lazair that was rebuilt in the UK, now called a Taylaz registered in Canada as C-IHOP. I sold it on a trailer to a guy who re-sold it - not heard it was flying yet.

So since you can get cheap Rotax Type A gearboxes cos no-one wants to use them on R503's any more, it's not too hard to make a machined adapter plate to mount the g/box on the 185's.
Taylaz
Lazair Newbie

Postby mgodwin12 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:36 pm

so what are you saying? i shouldn't go ahead with it because there are cheaper, gearbox versions ready to go?
mgodwin12
Popular Lazair Member

Postby mgodwin12 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:02 pm

hey,
bad news on the redrive front. my machinist had a bad accident and is out of the picture for the time being. hopefully he'll be back in action soon but it could be a while. the good news is he should make a complete recovery.
mike
mgodwin12
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Sun May 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Good luck and a speedy recovery.
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Return to Lazair parts for sale