Engine Upgrades

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Shannon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 am

Front view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 am

Another attempt to reconfigure a Series II with more power. This definitely has to be a totally "user unfriendly" configuration. I'll never understand why guys don't just sell the plane and just get something with enough power to haul them around. This "Lazair" isn't a "Lazair" anymore. All the great handling qualities have been destroyed and you sure aren't going far if the engine quits !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:44 am

This is how they always end up. I.E. a chopped up piece of crap ! Note the boom mount for a single engine.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby bdiedenhofen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Ahmen brother!!
Brian D.
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby BlackRain » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Great info. here... another Lazair fan Dave had warned me about adding a heavier engine as well. Pretty much said the same thing.. the wings would need to be strengthened along with other parts. The options I was looking at more seriously were the P tip props or the redrives. My reason for wanting a bit more power is the obvious.. being my weight...lol. Which incidentally seems to be going down at quite a good pace... lost 10 lbs already... lol... better diet and the in laws sauna are working out quite well.
As redrives aren't readily available the P tip props are more than likely going to be my choice. I do however have access to a machine shop and am more than willing to make my own set once I have more knowledge on building my own. I have already ordered my carb rebuild kits along with new gaskets and seals for the engine rebuilds. I plan on taking my time to do the engines to ensure they are built correctly and to peak performance. I am going to be fabbing up an engine stand this weekend to get started on the work. Thanks for taking the time to put up this information, it's nice to see that folks want to help me in making the right choices.

Cheers,
Chad.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:18 am

I noticed the inner wings are modifide with ailerons all the way up to r7. what was the benefit and does this affect the lazair floatability. Do flyers still do this modification?
Wayne
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info