Engine managment

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:54 am

OK this is one side of the twin stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 am

And this is the other side. couldn't get the whole thing in one pic in the shed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:26 am

The twin side by side, the pros, both motors can be tested one after the other, they can be lifted into the shed in one movement, feul tanks hang from the sides and I will make up a tool tray. cons, hammering in 15inch pegs to hold the stand in one place, ( it does not move either way). Cost is $50.00 AUD or $ 55 US, if my welding was better then it would have taken about 2 hours to finish.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:37 am

try this pic, I'm off the air for the holidays, the stand is 1mtr high and 2 mtrs long.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm

wayne make a set of wheels for your stand. tie it to a tree or such with a spring scale and tune the engines to max thrust.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:21 am

I Have returned from the great ocean road. the girls are miss-behaving, the points on one of the rotax won't open or close ? the points are stiff and very hard to move I will investigate tommorrow any tips other than don't move the mag housing ? the whole system looks brand new and there is no corrosion or broken wires that I can see so far. <_< I also have the original "FAT" bodied plugs , when did you last see some of those ?
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:25 am

There are some nice tacho's from 'Westach' in the USA. a little pricey but not too bad compared to some car suppliers.

www.westach.com go to Products ~ Dual guages ~ 2 1/4 inch ~ tachometer~ 2nd one down part No. 2DA5-8-2 goes to 8000rpm @ $238.00 the above one is the same price goes to 5000 rpm.

Anyone had any experience with these tacho's or other products from 'Westach'

wayne

I have just received a email here in Australia and it states "we do not sell tiny tachs for use in aircraft" interestingly enough I made abosultley no mention of aircraft or what my inteneded use was ?
I am enegaged in an online Q&A at present.

I emailed again and explained that a Rotax motor for aircraft has 3 cylinders is water cooled, my 'Firefighter pump' is a single cylinder hence the TT22 number the reply was, price for a tiny tach $4123.45 +freight+GST, I think this guy is reading the wrong part No.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 am

I now have a new twin engine stand on wheels, I can test the motors at altitude as well!! :D
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 am

<_< I have taken the Lazair series 3 out of the hanger and run the Rotax motors for a short time from idle to full rpm at short intervals.
the motor that always ran well is still doing just that at 5510 rpm with no flat spots up or down.
The other is running at 5220 with no flat spots, but the tiny tach then goes to 6600 rpm 7500 rpm then upto 9900 rpm ?
I am guessing that there is a fault in the tiny tach or a broken spark lead ? anyone know what is happening here ? any help is appreciated.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:56 am

tiny tachs do that. its picking up the other engine or interference. try fewer loops around the plug lead, or more, and get the ground closer to the loops if possible. a pic of the funny tiny tach setup?
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info