Postby lazair » Wed May 05, 2004 5:54 pm

Thanks from Adam hunt From Copa.

lazair
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed May 05, 2004 6:09 pm

Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Fri May 07, 2004 12:28 am

I thought seriously about building a similar gear for my Series I Lazair well over twenty years ago, but after looking at the loads that this gear would impose onto the lower cage assembly and lift strut mounts, I decided against it. The Series I's and II's are definitely not overbuilt in the area where this style gear attaches. Being raised up with this gear, there's a good arm to impose some pretty impressive bending loads on the down tubes, etc., not to mention the very light wing attach plates. I would like to know if anyone has actually used a modified gear like this on an early Lazair for a significant number of landings from real world grass fields without structural problem.

The above concerns are why I mounted a much less sexy straight tube gear using low profile Barry rubber equipment mounts right up against the bottom ends of the carry through tube between the lift strut mount plates. Two bolts attach the gear to the plane with the add on gear being very close to the carry through tube -- approximately 2 1/2 inches. Between the rubber mounts, flexing aluminum gear, and stiffwall tires, I get very good shock absorption (much softer than stock) while not imposing much in the way of twisting forces. I have well over four hundred hours flown with this gear without any problems to the gear or plane. I have, however, bowed the carry through tube down some from my big butt and too much fun going into some awfully rough landing sites.

Chappy in Virginia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chappy
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info