Mylar

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Jean-Marc » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:01 pm

Hi Guys. I am happy to see that my topic on mylar vs tedlar got you talking.
I was away for a while and couldn't get back on yahoo . so. To me it is now very clear that the winer of this talking is mylar. remember that this is for hangered airplanes. Anyway I would never ever consider owning a LAZAIR and keeping it outside.I did that a long time ago and learnd the hard way. They are very fragile and should be kept inside. A hanger or a trailer should be the maine conserne for us Lazair owners.
I had a great time reading all the input from everyone that replyed and realy.I am ameized by the knoledge that we can gather on this site.And what a nice shot of a red and clear mylar coverd lazair we got. Thanks to all.

One of your LAZAIR friends !
Jean-Marc
Jean-Marc

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:19 pm

Mylar sucks, Lazair quit using it for a reason ! It's crap ! Tedlar is first choice. Some guy here says he has some for sale. Hope it's the right type.

A close look and you see lots and lots of nasty wrinkles, yellowing UV infected attachment tape, and no capstrips on the red plane. It's all good !

Anyone who keeps a Lazair outside all the time is nuts !

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:28 pm

Hard to argue. Why do the same amount of work for a 5+ year covering when you could install a 15 year + covering.

Postby Chappy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:43 pm

I've never seen a Mylar covered Lazair that needed cap strips. They were designed as a "Band-Aid fix" for all the tape failures that developed on Tedlar covered wings when their rib tape's acrylic adhesives failed!

Mylar absorbs moisture, so when it's stored it will many times develop wrinkles in the covering. Five minutes in the sun will dry out the moisture and the wrinkles will disappear. Wrinkles in Tedlar covering, on the other hand, are often caused by tape slippage, which can be a big problem to correct.

Tedlar IS a superior covering for use on Lazairs, but it isn't perfect either. Mylar is NOT crap. Mylar can be a very economical alternative to Tedlar, especially if you can't get Tedlar. I hope Tedlar does become available again, and if it does, that we can actually afford to pay for it.

BTW, if you have such strong opinions, how about having the courtesy to identify yourself, and sharing with us your personal experience with these materials that have brought you to hold these opnions.

Chappy in Virginia, Lazair #25 (former Lazair dealer, Ultraflight employee and multiple Lazair owner, BOTH Mylar and Tedlar covered)
Chappy
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info