Pulling Leading Edge dents out

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:56 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for removing dents from the leading edge of the wing?

In handling the wings off the trailer, I dinged a leading edge. :(

The ding spans about 3"long, 1 1/2" wide and is about 1/2" deep.

It seems like I should be able to pull it out some how, but Im not sure how to do this.

Seems worthwhile for anyone to know, who owns a Lazair so lets post the tips here.

Suggestions??????
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:03 am

hey ray, you can try a suction type dent remover that they use on cars, but i think the best thing will be to get inside the leading edge and use a shaped piece of wood to work the ding out again. good panel beaters use this method for small dings and does not require paint. the trouble with aluminium sheet is that it stretches so easily when it is dinged so when you get it back out you will have a bit of a woof in it from the stretched metal and it is easy for the metal to go back to the ding. you will have to live with some form of damage. you can try to remove as much as you can then drill some one eighth holes in the ding then use lightweight epoxy resin and microballons to fill the ding and a little bit of silver paint to finish. the other alternatives are new leading edge or just live with it. ugh.
i have a few near the tips on my wings from putting it in and out of the trailer and i will be using filler and will paint them. i have also filled the tip with light weight expanding foam to give them a bit of strenghth as well. my leading edges are .015 .020 are much stronger. good luck, ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:44 am

Another alternative is to wrap the D-cell with a small section of .016 to cover the dent (s). Of course another section of equal width must be added to the other wing to make it look right. Once done it looks like a normal part of the wings.

Lazair D-cells are quite fragile and great care must be taken to prevent this type of unsightly damage.

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:29 pm

Good suggestions, although getting inside the wing is to much work to remove the skin.

I like adding a piece of .016 skin over the problem area....sounds fool proof and with a little creativity can be make to look good.

I did see a "Pop-a-Dent" ad and that gave me the idea of using hotmelt glue to attach a stick that will be pulled on to remove the dent. It sounds promising as I doubt much force is required to pull it back out. A quick yank on the stick should do the trick before the glue bond breaks.

I'll update this post after I try the hotmelt glue method first, if that fails I can still try something else.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby jb88ci » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:55 pm

you could always drill a 1/8 hole, pull the dent and then stuff a rivet in the hole..not pretty, but functional...also, be careful of creases...they be stress risers, matie....
jb88ci
Popular Lazair Member

Return to Re-Building tips and info