[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Rotax 185 Ignition problem/ CDI ignition

Rotax 185 Ignition problem/ CDI ignition

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:37 pm

My Rotax 185 is not getting a spark.

Upon close inspection of the points I noticed that the contacts had some erosion, and possible carbon build up.

I sanded the contacts smooth, removing the erosion.

I have yet to reassemble and test for spark.

Can this be what has been stopping my spark?????

I have only got about 4 hours TT on this engine, and am surprised at the rate of wear on the points.

How often does everyone maintain/replace their points?

If this is normal, then Im going to go CDI immediately.

After doing some research on affordable CDI for the rotax, I found that "Wildfire"
makes a CDI conversion kit for the Rotax 185.

Last time I checked the kit was $300-400.

The replacement parts include a new flywheel, CDI/spark Coil unit and Stator assembly with pickup/trigger and coil.

I found from various sources the CDI/Spark Coil unit is Ducati and can be had for about $55 USD CDI/Coil
The pickup is $15
....the stator coil should not be more than $60.

The flywheel is the only thing I would need to get from Wildfire...and Ive asked for a price.

Im am trying to price out the parts from independant sources to get at an Under $200 solution, without trying to make anything myself.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:48 pm

Ray, did you install new points and condensers from Wildfire as advised in earlier posts ???

Postby daffy1029 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:14 pm

Hi rayjb60,
It could be your condenser or coil. Usually best to replace points and condenser rather than sand/file points. Even better would be to go with CDI. You get stronger spark for better starting, cleaner burning and more reliability plus a better running engine. It would be worth it to upgrade. ;) Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:54 pm

Ive decided that I dont want my engine to stop on account of the points or condenser going belly up.

Ive decided to buy the CDI ignition conversion and make those babies the most reliable parts of the whole plane.

$300 isnt that bad after doing some research on alternative ways of getting CDI in place.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby trimjim007 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:47 pm

trimjim007
Lazair.com Member

Return to Re-Building tips and info