rib's wrap around filament tap

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Jean-Marc Auge » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:29 pm

I know it may sound bizzard but I can't seams to be able to fine the right kind of filament tape that was used to wrap the ribs caps on the LAZAIR . Is there anyone that would have any info like a name or number ,or where to find this stuff and howmany rolls are needed and does it need to be install exactly at the same location the the ribs, because if so, this would mean that I would have to take most the ribs off the wings ,as the tape is slightly traped under the ribs gussets. This could mean that it was done on purpose to stop the tape from coming off but not all the ribs have their tap traped under the gussets.
I also want to thank all of the guys that have understood the strength this tool can give us and thank them for using it for this sole purpose. I only paticiped once on the forum and my question was about white mylar. And what an answer did I get!!!!. Thanks to hall and keep up the good work it is very impressive. Thank you. Jean-Marc Augé

P.S. come and visit me on datumair.com I should have picyures of my LAZAIR on the site prety soon
Jean-Marc Auge

Postby JPXman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:01 am

My only advice is go to Home Depot and buy the skinniest filament tape you can find. Garden variety is fine, as you will be painting over it anyway to protect from UV. Location of the tape cross overs are unimportant, just keep them spaced about the same. Also, my advice would be to put a few extra crossovers around the rib tips, as they're pretty thin and are the first place that ribs crack the foam.

Also, don't be afraid to pop the rib out of the wing. Careful drilling of the rivets on the 4 gussets, you can pop the rib out, clean it, tape it, paint it, and pop it back in with the same drilled holes and it will still be perfectly aligned for proper washout.

Also, if you're going to pop out all the ribs (hint hint) might as well do the spar-web bracket mod. A mod that attaches the nose of the rib to the D-cell web (flat surface). If mods are your cup of tea.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby jean-marc » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Thank you Tyler!
jean-marc

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:42 pm

Return to Re-Building tips and info