Rotax 185 CDI Conversion...easy!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazair3ca » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:33 pm

The frontal view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazair3ca » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:35 pm

Bottom view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazair3ca » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:37 pm

The side view:
Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:41 am

More sucess....I ran the engine today with the new CDI coil installed and its awesome.

It starts on the first compression every time.....as a matter of fact it starts to easily now and for safety, I will always remove the spark plug wire when the engine is not attached to the kill switch.....I should probably just make a auxilliary ground plug attached to the engine itself for that purpose.

Now I can get such a low idle that you can hear that the engine is only firing every second cocmpression due to lack of fuel....but I'd rather set it a little higher rpms so its easier on the engine I'd think.

It also runs about 50% smoother in those low to mid rpms where it would shake excessively previously.

I have not moved the original armature plate yet to adjust timing, since it seems to develop the same top end power as before.

I'll just leave it as is for now, since when it unloads a bit more in the air it might develop more power than on the ground anyway.

Im extremely pleased with the result, and never have to worry about anything getting out of adjustment or wearing out in that area now.

The only comment I have is that the pull starting proceedure should change a bit because of the strong kick during the first compression stroke when it starts up immediately.

You should pull slowly a bit of line out first till you get to the next compression stroke so that it doesnt yank your hand back so far......it seems to hit the first compression stroke and fires right up now.....everytime!

Awesome!...I highly recommend this mod.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:57 am

You have a great looking install George.......it should work well.

I checked the temp of my coil immediately after stopping the engine after a high rev run and it was not even warm......I suspect the CDI unit does not develop much heat at all.

In case anyone missed the Previous link as an alternate source for the CDI/coil units, you can check the following link out.

Alternate CDI/coil source

It is designed for a 200cc engine so it should be more than adequate for the Rotax 185cc.

You just need to find a source for a simple armature plate coil.....or perhaps you could wind your own, using the exisiting lighting coil parts, if your not using it for something else.

If one of us had a good Ohm meter, we could measure the existing resistance and determine how much wire would be necessary to wind it.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby lazair3ca » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:08 pm

Ray,

Your comment about the kick during starting hit home. I tried a few times (more than 3) and the kick was so strong I fugured we had the timing set too far advanced. It tore the cord right out of my hand. So we are going to tear it down and check the timing. It certainly has a strong spark every time now. I expect we will convert most of our engines and I may not need the spare one.
Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:52 am

Bill where did you get the cdi box and the armature plate ignition coil. Do you have part numbers and contact info ?

Postby lazair3ca » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:27 pm

Wildfire sells the kits. George ordered them through Wajax in the east end of Ottawa. We were told he has the last 2. Wajax will order more on request but the delivery times will probably be longer than the two days for this pair.

Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:31 pm

Just out of Curiousity, what was the total cost of the Wajax parts he ordered?

My original goal was to get the CDI conversion done for under $150 USD per engine.

Are we there yet? :)

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:40 pm

Yes....watch out for the starting kick.....even if a casual bystander flings the prop against the compression stroke the engine will probably start running or at the very least deliver a kick.

Its very important to manage the ignition kill switch position so that it doesn't unitentionally start up and hurt someone.

I would recommend an extra little grounding lead attached to the engine, that you can plug into the kill plug to prevent any possible starts when the ignition wiring is not attached during disassembly etc.

I just unlplug the spark plug lead for now when handling the engine, but will soon add this feature.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info