Rotax 185 CDI Conversion...easy!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby rayjb60 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:24 am

My Tiny Tack reads the idle rpm as 2100, but it sure seems slower than that.

I have a feeling that at lower rpm, maybe high rpm as well, the CDI sparks twice per revolution perhaps at TDC and BDC.

I need to fiddle with the Tack settings, since I can set it for 1 or 2 sparks per revolution....right now its set for 2 per rev.

Since I put on the CDI unit with its self adjusting spark advance, then engine seems smoother at all settings including idle.

I believe that since the CDI provides a very powerfull hot spark throughout the whole power range, it makes for a better idle, where the points seems to make a weaker spark at lower rpms....just where you need a hot powerfull spark the most.

I don't know about others, but Im getting a great smooth reliable idle, and like Ive said else where, slamming the throttles forward from a low idle results in immediate and fast response to full power....no blubbering or hesitation what so ever.....I can go back and forth on the throttle like a mad man, and the engine follows instantly without any hesitation....its awesome!
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 5:34 pm

Back down on your (L) to 1900 then readjust the (H) to best absolute speed. Back off 1/8th rich on the (H) from there. Probably pick up 50-100 rpms.

Postby Carl » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:26 pm

Nice job on the CDI conversion guys. I noticed you linked to a P200 ignition coil, these are a copy of the Ducati 3 wire system not the 2 wire system like was sourced from wildfire. Lazair3ca, George where did you guys get your coils from? I've only been able to find aftermarket manufacturers not resellers.
Carl

Postby ozzie » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:35 am

just a thought guys, will that nice big fat hot spark start to eat the electrode off the plugs a bit faster i had this problem on an old 750cc kawasaki 2 stroke tripple years ago. i was replacing plugs every 500miles. tried all sorts of plugs back then best results were plantinum ones expensive but did not fall apart like the std ngk ones, maybe plug technology improved now but i would keep an eye on them until i felt comfy with them. just a thought. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:57 pm

Thats a good observation, I'll have to add that to my checklist.

I might want to change to platinum plugs next time I replace them.

I have not put enough hours on the CDI conversion to really have to check.....when I get to 5 hours I'll pull them and see what they look like.

I already pulled them after an hour and took some pics so I can compare them later on to see if they wear or change color.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby crazyneosimpson » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:00 am

Ray,bill, george,
I know you guys have done a lot for this thread already, can someone confirm two dimensions for me.
The first is Ø81.5 mm inside the magnets of the flywheel.
The other is 46.5 mm bolt centres to mount the lighting and ignitor coils.
If these are right then low cost CDI conversions are a reality.
crazyneosimpson
Lazair.com Member

Postby art » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 pm

I called WildFire today and asked the price for cdi conversion kit today. Was told 428.00 US ?????? Just for the hell of it, I asked the price of the flywheel, he didn't have the part # so I said give me the price of the old flywheel--- 500.00 + ???
My knowledge of engine is nil, and am trying to learn as much as I can from this site. I think I read that there were 4 magnet in the flywheel, am I wrong? Isn't the magnets that trigger the spark, if so that's alot of sparks. Where am I going wrong. Thanks Art.
art
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:14 pm

What Wildfire location did you call ?? Those prices are higher than what other guys paid for CDI kits ??

Postby art » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Georgia and Oregon
art
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:14 am

I called and asked why we are seeing a 50% increase. I was told that due to the currency exchange rates between Austria and Canada and then USA, Rotax has had to up the rice to make money.

Bad deal for anyone thinking of swithing over. I told them I could buy a lifetime supply of points and condensors for half that much...and they agreed. They have been trying to get Rotax to loosen up on their prices. Let's hope they succeed.

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info