lazair one mod to 2 seater

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby tommyb » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:50 pm

if i were to buy a lazair 1 that needed to be rebuilt and i took on this choir could i build it to be bigger to lets say a 2 seater and have wide gear and dual everything or will the wings not support the weight? as far as i can tell the wings are almost the same but a little thinner. someone correct me if im wrong please. i would put a bigger engine set on to compensate for the extra weight. heck maybe even turbines <see other post> to save on the weight. i mean this is UL and experimenting is how it all came about right?
anyone ever do a 1- 2 seat conversion? have any tips or ideas?
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:32 am

I guess that anything is possible, but now that I am restoring a two place I can tell you that the two machines are both very much the same and very much different. The center section is very similar, but the control system is much more complex than say a series III. I am very much a believer in keeping these machines as original as possible. Sure there are some neat new engines out there, but I like the idea of keeping the machines like they were designed. A significant increase in safety would be an obvious exception though. In my opionion, if you have a single place, make it a very nice machine and keep an eye out for a two-place......just my two cents!

Here's a pic of the controls in the center section. You can see that this paricular machine was neglected for a long time. The last time it flew Ronald Reagan was president! It's still in overall good shape though, a testiment to the quality materials that Dale's company used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby tommyb » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:25 pm

well i agree but with only 40 two seaters made its ind of hard to find one. i've been looking. but they are far and few between. so i thought why not convert on. im looking at the possibility of buy 2 lazairs from an individual and one i was going to leave stock and the other i could mod. or so i was thinking. if anyone wants to sell a 2 seater i'd be glad to look at it and would most likley but it but as of now i dont know of any for sale
t
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 am

hey dave if you're looking for new engines, tom walters has a set of KFMs on nacelle's with tuned pipes i think, and he wants to sell them. they guzzle gas but are perfect for the 2-seater because you can carry more gas (at least here in canada you can). I have almost 11 US gal capacity on my 2-seater and am running JPX engines on it and my series III EC.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:30 pm

I sent Tom an e-mail to see if he's interested in selling. I have to work tonight so I'll have my wife check my e-mail for me. KFM's with some tunned exhausts would be sweet on a two place.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Dale Kramer » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:12 pm

Tommyb,

The only wings that would match the Lazair II two place in strength would be the Elite.

I think there are more two places out there than Elites.

Dale
Dale Kramer
Lazair.com Member

Postby Dale Kramer » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:14 pm

Also, you will never have enjoyed the true Lazair flight characteristics and sensations unless you have flown a single place open cockpit Lazair.

Dale
Dale Kramer
Lazair.com Member

Return to Re-Building tips and info