An Electric Lazair

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby yankeflyer » Tue May 02, 2006 2:44 pm

tail wheel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 pm

It came with a St. Joseph of Cupertino metal.

So I googled St. Joseph of Cupertino and read for a couple of three hours. Pretty depressing really -- but fine I'm superstitious enough to leave it there. It's probably more for the protection of the plane than me.

I can definitely upgrade to plastic ties instead of duct tape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue May 02, 2006 6:22 pm

Brakes -- I'll be looking for suggestions for a lightweight upgrade to to the current woodblock set up.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue May 02, 2006 6:41 pm

More pictures of the brake system
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Tue May 02, 2006 6:44 pm

one more
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am

From what I can see in the photos, it doesn't appear that corrosion is gonna be much of an issue. That will really speed things up, believe me. I may have missed a post where you wrote about it, but when will you start serious work on her?

You reminded me of an important issue when you mentioned "barn". Should there be a possiblity of mice close by, watch out for cats. Cats are drawn to areas where mice are, and they are very curious creatures and can't resist a new high place to jump on. They have very soft feet, but when they lose traction and start to slide those litttle fish hooks pop out and that can be the end of the covering. That happened to me more than once. Any time you have the wings on or laying in that position be wary.

Sorry for the ramble. That braking system is very interesting. I wasn't aware that was done. Wonder what burning wood mixed with burning rubber smells like.

Anyway, good luck and may St. Joesph be with you,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed May 03, 2006 9:02 pm

but when will you start serious work on her?

brakes are off and I have a start. And some pics
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed May 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Did lazair`s tubing come with the plastic core ?
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu May 04, 2006 6:39 am

Yeah, most all tubes that would be "egged" by the torque of the bolts had the nylon plugs. Not only at the ends, but also deeper in the tube should they be required to serve the same purpose. Some places weren't critical (gas tank mounts, etc.) and did not have the plugs.
The lower end of the wing strut has a solid aluimum plug.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 am

I meant to ask, what is an electric powered Lazair? Would like to see a photo.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info