Page 2 of 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 pm
by Shannon
Pic 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:39 pm
by Shannon
Pic 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:40 pm
by Shannon
There we go. Almost off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:42 pm
by Shannon
Done, Note, 3 shims on this one !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:59 pm
by flyalaz
Hey Shannon,

A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks again. Now I need to skip out and pick up the splitter.

I have on hand the updated Wildfire engine parts manual with the "R-XXX" parts listings (old style "123-456"). There are some changes to parts, for example, the piston gudgeon pin retaining clip is shown now as a circlip in lieu of ring.
I haven't seen this manual on the site. Is it posted somewhere? If not, I can get it scanned and send it to admin for posting.

Karl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:14 pm
by Shannon
No problem. Lot easier to just show it being done. I'm sure you will not have any trouble.

Sure, scan and post the newer manual. It would be very handy to reference new part numbers. All I have is the old original Mark 3 manual.

Shannon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:23 pm
by flyalaz
More progress,

Picked up the rotax splitter, a little pricey but worked like a charm. Similar to what you have shown but has an added ring to encircle the two halves of the splitter that prevents it from slipping off the bearing. Pulls off in one operation.
I removed a .010" shim, heated and cooled things and reassembled. Beauty! Put all the remaining bits on, timed to .170" BTDC, and voila, one engine done.
Now for engine two.

As for the parts manual, even though this new one shows the piston clips as real circlips, I found out that they are still those pain in the a** rings. However, the spark plug cap as shown is the old part, it is now NGK LB05EZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:29 am
by flyalaz
I sent the manual to admin, so I guess it will be posted sometime in the future. I left out the beginning section that applies only to the pump section, but if anyone wants those, just drop me a note.

A couple of other notes: the spark plug wire now sold by wildfire is not the skinny stuff. So, it fits their new cap, but not the ignition coil, nor the grommet . A little bit of creative sabotage is needed. I Enlarged the grommet hole, and shaved the wire insulation down a little so it fits the coil. So long as you maintain the proper diameter for the coil socket, it stays in tight. Silicone to seal out the elements as usual. This works well. I flew all last year this way with no problems.

Karl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:02 pm
by flyalaz
Second motor started:

Disassembly went well. Forward bearing stayed in the housing, no big whup. Pulled it out and after checking things out, lo and behold, this motor's crank is different from the other one. First motor, both ends were the same. This one. flywheel end is 0.983" dia, and prop end is 0.788" dia. Now I have to exchange the bearing and seal !

Lesson learned:

Even though they might look the same, measure what you have before you go out and buy parts. :blink:

Karl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:38 pm
by flyalaz
Here is a shot of the Rotax splitter, and the following pics are straight forward. I drilled two angle brackets to attach to my puller, and used the shaft protector cap R-928 from Wildfire to keep it turning smooth. Took about three minutes to pull from start to finish, including the time it took to take the pictures.

Karl