"Easy" Pod

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:48 am

with UHMW riveted on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:49 am

THese skis were over 48" long and I only had on had 1/2 sheet of 1/8 " UHMW so we made it work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 am

All done now ,
Just have to rig the bungees andsafety cables.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 am

or you could try the Fiberglass over plywood concept.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:09 am

nice skiis !,but it look`s like the weigth is the same as a complete two seater!.

what is the weigth ?.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby xgary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 am

Ola, The Actaul Weight I forget now .
I know the Fiberglass skis are abotu 15 lbs each fully rigged and they are replacinga 13 pound tire, buh off a avid dflyer so that not a issue.
The Alum Skis in the fisrt pit -- the one on right is a Ser 3 ski and I think it about 5 lbs. and again it replaces the wheel.

The Lazair skis that have been modified in the pics used to fit a ser 1 ,2 or 2 seater lazair and the tire was left on. I think they about 5 pounds each prior to the refit for a Kitfox. So it not too bad.

I can weigh them later if you like .
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby bdiedenhofen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:49 am

I've got fibreglass skis, came with the bird. The wheels drop right in, so rigging takes less than ten minutes. I dont use tail skis, slight forward pressure on the stick keeps the tail up, and I havent seen a need for them. Last week, there was 6" to 8" of fresh snow, and the lack of tail skis was no problem. I'll get some pics of my skis posted next week.

Brian
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby flyalaz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Nice collection of skis Shorty!

I started this thread about the pod because I can't fit my skis on until I get a narrower one made. The skis have been used in the past by the previous owner, but when going over a bump, the tips were deflected upward and cracked the pod. I repaired that, but don't want to have any further problems, hence the quest for a more aerodynamic wheelbarrow! Hee hee!

The skis are fibreglass and fit over the wheels, but seem to me to weigh quite a lot. Snowboards seem to be an easy and lightweight way to go. Ultra High Molecular Weight material can always be added to the really cheap boards if needed.

Are you selling any "true" Lazair skis? (series 2)
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm

a more aerodynamic wheelbarrow........

here you got one....

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby bdiedenhofen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:36 pm

Nice Ola,

Very clean, aerodynamic lines, and bushwheels too!

Carl, I wonder if your skis are the same as mine? They are a little heavy, but in cold, dense air I am still seeing better performance than a typical day in the summer. Would these skis have been supplied by Ultraflight back in the day do you think? Pics to come next week.

Brian
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info