Winter projects?

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:03 pm

If you have been waiting for winter to work on your plane and you need parts, I'll be putting together a couple of part builds over the next few months. I can do any of the following if you need them.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Joe,

I know Dale George had Tedlar a while back, but I think he's been out for a while.

I'm glad the parts are working out for you.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 am

looking good! nice basic machine so far. two things i never understood:

1: why do so many lazairs have that brake handle on the stick?

2: what is that little "control stop" looking thing that sits ahead of the stick? does that serve any purpose, above what the stop at the bottom of the stick tube does?

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Joe,

I wholeheartedly DO NOT APPROVE of your seat attach modification. As an engineer, this is exactly how NOT to extend loads. Two examples of such repairs are the 747 that blew the tail cone off the rear pressure vessel and everyone died when it crashed into a mountain. the second is the skywalk collapse in the mall of america that killed some people.

basically, your entire weight of yourself, multiplied by any load factor you pull in your plane, is directly held by the BENDING strength of that tiny piece of aluminum riveted to the axle.

not to mention the fact that you have weakened the axle by drilling all of those holes in it.....

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:38 pm

however i do like the way the elite has the stick pivot tube mounted to the axle. the series III has that plug inside the tube that a AN4 rod end threads into...there must just be a B4 bushing on the end of that bolt that the pivot tube pivots on?

back to my other point, i see that some people like to move the seat back for more legroom, but there are better ways to do it. either make a new longer seat (bending new seat tubes and make new seat cover) or extend the rudder pedals further away. both have an effect on the CofG however so plan accordingly. if you moved your seat back and flew with 185 engines, you may find a rear CofG condition. if you fly with JPXs and move your rudder pedals forward (meaning main weight of legs is farther forward) you may find forward CofG condition.

Tyler

edit: sorry to re-hijack the thread, i thought it important. i have a set of george's tubes - all i can say is "fabulous - better than stock"
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm

ok if that piece extends well underneath the seat, then i'm ok with it - but if its just a tiny piece that goes from the axle, and then 1" into the seat pan then that is bad. i would have made the piece wider. pretty important to keep your butt attached to the plane.

i'm getting the itch to get ski flying. it may be warming up from -30C next week to just below zero :)

PS: i love that tail weight chart. i am so far off that scale....i gross out somewhere near 630 lbs in my series III!!!!! i had to hang the plane with me in it to make sure the thing was balanced using the 12" - 15" aft of leading edge CofG measurement
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Siggie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Joe

You're looking for spinners? I had these made up along with 8 wheel halves some years ago...haven"t a clue what there worth. Here's 3 pic's :rolleyes:

.....Jim

aka Siggie

Siggie
Lazair.com Member

Postby Lspav8r » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:08 am

I was so happy to see an example of an Lazair that is in the process of reconstruction that actually showed that some of the aluminum is brand new and nice and shiny, and some of the nuts and bolts and aluminum is in need of shining up. This gives me a good feeling because I had no idea about what to do about the tarnished aluminum.

I mean, I can see now that the aluminum is not all replaced but rather shined up to look once again like new while other pieces that were replaced already shine like new. After all they are new arent they.

I hope I dont sound like im rambling on here because this is the first time I am taking on this task of rebuilding something I am actually going to hang my rear end in and fly. This is very exciting.

Jim
Lspav8r
Lspav8r
Lazair.com Member

Postby lazairkid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:57 am

Tyler,
If you look at the seat on Joe's plane you should see three or four
rows of rivets holding that plate on to the seat. the Plate is .90 or
higher in thickness and should be 8 to 10 inches long.
The brakes on the elite had toe brakes, but there was also a cable that
went under the seat to both brakes with a device that linked the hand brake
to it to.
The down side to this was that the cable was so low under the seat that if
you operated on a grass strip with grass or weeds higher than 4inch the grass would wrap around the cable.
I have had concern about the control rods go to the ailerons being so low under the seat too. I have found dirt packed around the rods from fire ant
hills that I have had to avoid during taxing.
Lazairkid
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:35 pm

JPXman @ Feb 4 2008, 10:48 PM wrote:

PS: i love that tail weight chart. i am so far off that scale....i gross out somewhere near 630 lbs in my series III!!!!!

Holy Crap, Tyler, I hope you meant your 2 place!

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info