[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - What to look for?

What to look for?

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby BlackRain » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello All,
new to the forums here, I live in Bloomfield Ontario near Picton and have always wanted to get my pilots license. Well as luck would have it I now have the time and ability to do so.. *does the happy dance*. I have luckily come across someone who is willing to sell me his lazair. I would like to know if there is anything in particular I should be looking for when inspecting the aircraft? As of this writing I have seen it and everything seems to be fine from what I can see. The aircraft has been stored indoors for 3 or more years, wings off and hanging inside as well, 3 rotax engines with it, condition seems ok externally, flight time on engines unknown. Minor damage to tail coverings and minor wrinkles in wing coverings. I did not get to take any pictures unfortunately but will try to do so soon.
Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Flying soon,
BlackRain.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am

from the county! i spent lots of time in picton over the years.

Are you talking about the lazair in kijiji advertised in belleville? I seem to remember that one had "custom" landing gear, as in might have been bent up at some point and "redesigned" by the owner. compare the gear tubes to stock if you can and get a 2nd opinion from someone you trust in the flying community.

that's just starters. a good thorough visual crack check at any wing attach fitting or control horn is also good.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby BlackRain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Tyler,
Yep another county boy going to take to the skies... hopefully...lol. I looked through kijiji but didn't see any lazair's there... I remember an older add that had one though.. might be the one you are talking about. I didn't get a chance to see it though... wish I could have. This one is also located in the county.. I couldn't give the wings a proper check as they were hanging.. but it does come with an extra set of wings and tail. I did notice that it was not the wide style gear on it... really close to the seat on this one and it has wheel barrow wheels on it. It does however have foot pedals installed and the front wheel has been removed. The cockpit has the front cowl on it with plexy windscreen. Beyond needing a good cleaning it seems to be in decent shape... but I am no expert by any means. I don't know any pilots or folks that have the expertise I could use to make a sound decision. I have asked the seller to hold it for me and put a deposit down so that I could get a bit more time to get some information that would help me in my inspection.

Cheers,
Chad.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby bdiedenhofen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:49 am

If you go through the old posts on this site you'll find discussions on most of the major areas of concern. The Lazair is pretty good for inspection as most parts are out in the open, or can be seen through the tedlar covering. I'd say take your time and check over the whole airframe looking for dents or cracks. Then check all the critical areas looking for the same with a magnifying glass. Wing attach points, control ends that sort of thing should all be tight with good rivets. Dents in the wing leading edge would indicate an incident of some sort which may have stressed or weakend the attach points either in the wing or on the fuselage. The only thing that's really hard to check is the integrity of the glue joint holding the nose ribs inside the D cell. You can tap on the skin and feel for them. If it feels hollow, some may have collapsed.
It would be great to have a fellow Lazair head with you, but if the airframe looks ok and the critical areas aren't showing signs of major damage, just about everything on the airplane is pretty straightforward to repair or replace if needed. If you see something that you're not sure about, take a few photo's and post them.
There are no known in flight failures of any Lazairs. It's a fantastic safety record. They're built well and strong.
It's a great airplane. Tons of fun to fly for sure. It is an airplane though and must always be approached with caution.
Cheers,
Brian D
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby BlackRain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Brian.... I did notice a very small dent in one of the leading edges on the covered wings. It almost looks like someone may have dinged it while hanging it up to me. Beyond that everything else looks great... I did not notice any loose or missing rivets anywhere on the aircraft either. I will go over the wing attach points though and check them out for fractures and cracks.

Thanks again,
Chad.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm

there's an old gentleman just south of picton who used to be a dealer. his name is peter thissen. he's gone blind in the last few years, but he loves the lazair. he would know someone in the area who would be able to talk lazair and check it out for you. he's in the phone book.

even if you do find damage on a lazair, its just to barter down the price - anything can be fixed on a lazair, thats the great part.

but a lazair is a love/hate relationship. you MUST enjoy working on an airplane to truly have a nice flying machine. especially a "project". I would recommend to anyone to open up the D-cells and reglue the noseribs.

I am currently trying to figure out a way to do this while keeping tedlar that is still serviceable on the wings.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby BlackRain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Acutally Peter Thissen is the original owner and builder of this particular Lazair. His name is on the serial # plate ... lol . Now that is funny.. too bad he has gone blind I would have loved to see his face looking at his old plane again.

Cheers,
Chad.

Update... Just spoke with Peter on the phone... nice guy. He gave me some great information on this particular lazair. I invited him to come over and take a look at his old Lazair once I make the purchase. Seems he isn't blind but his eyesight has faded a good degree to where he can no longer fly.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Return to Pilots Lounge