Pilots Log

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:03 am

This weekend I was out at El Mirage thinking I might fly my Lazair.

Had to do some tape repair first since the extreme heat out here the last couple weeks has caused my abrasion tapes to come unglued.

Its best to use the proper tapes even in areas that you just need extra for abrasion resistence.

I ended up pulling the abrasion tapes off and installing the proper tedlar and metal foil tapes in their place.

I have only had two flights so I did my high speed Taxi hops as a precursor to flight.

By the time I was about ready to fly, there was a slight 5mph cross wind, and some ugly dust devils out there so I decided I was not ready for that kind of risk just yet, and contented myself with high speed taxi familiarization in cross winds.

I have a Series II Lazair without brakes, I rely on a low idle and I use the skids on the tail as opposed to wheels to help slow things down when I want to.

BUT..... during some high speed Taxi in 5mph cross winds I found myself heading for some weeds, that I just did not want to get into, and put a foot down for some added braking........BIG MISTAKE.

My foot promptly snapped back with very painfull consequences.

Fortunately I did not break my ankle, but my big toe was jammed and snapped back in an instant, possibly broken, very painfull....so I'll be hobbling around for a while.

I learned an important lesson that I'd like to pass on to others......NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use your foot to slow down.

Had I been wearing Hiking boots I probably would have broken my ankle, but since my runners allowed my ankle to flex straight back and not twist, only my toe was injured.

Im now on a mission to engineer a low tech light weight solution for a simple brake I can use.

Any suggestions?

I'll document my solution for the benefit of feet on brakeless Lazairs.

I never saw Fred Flinstone ding his toe :P
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Billm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:30 pm

I also have a Series 2 and have thought about putting "go-kart" style brakes on it, the cheap kind that are just a curved plate behind the wheel- pivoting on a lower hinge but the top pulled by a cable connected to brake peddles up front. Anyone ever tried this before?
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Postby art » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:08 pm

lazflyn @ Jun 1 2005, 01:58 AM wrote:

I pulled the engine off thinking the worst as it was hard to turn the prop over.  I found that the flywheel had failed somehow in that the four plates on the magnet part of the flywheel had all come off?!!!  All four!  Weird.  Don't know how/why that happened.  I guess I'll have to order a new flywheel.  Very strange....

That's it for now.  3.4 hours Lazair time this year so far.

MarkDJ.

I just reread your post. Did you get a new flywheel? When I called Wildfire about CDI kit price it was about $500.00 US. Kit includes a new flywheel. Flywheel alone was about the same price. NUTS!!! Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:09 am

I like the brake band idea, its simple, light and acts as a fender reducing dirt kick up.

I'll pursue that idea and see what I can come up with.

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:59 pm

art @ Jul 28 2005, 09:08 PM wrote: [QUOTE=lazflyn,Jun 1 2005, 01:58 AM]

I pulled the engine off thinking the worst as it was hard to turn the prop over.  I found that the flywheel had failed somehow in that the four plates on the magnet part of the flywheel had all come off?!!!  All four!  Weird.  Don't know how/why that happened.  I guess I'll have to order a new flywheel.  Very strange....

That's it for now.  3.4 hours Lazair time this year so far.

The same thing just happened to me on Saturday while I was taking off from another airport.
Just after take off when I was around a hundred feet or so, the left engine started making funny noises so I decided to turn around and land again, but half way through the turn, as I reduced power, it just stopped solid. Not good. I had enough height to get lined up again and cut the other motor and glided in. Man, what a lonnnnng hot push through the grass to the hangar area from the end of the runway! Lucky for me another member from my field was there scoping out a possible purchase, and was able to give me a lift back to get my car.
At first I thought the ring had seized, but field disassembly dispelled that. That is when I noticed that magnet plate moving around inside the mag.
Take the engine off, bring it home, prepare and paint another mag, redo timing, and as I was putting the torque on the mag nut, the mag started turning, but the prop end wasn't--- busted crankshaft!!!!
Looks like flying is over for me. Next day, I picked up the trailer, disassembled it and brought it back to my field. At least I didn't lose the P-Tip. Probably sheared the crank where it meets the balance wheel. When I finish moping around the house and start to disassemble it, I'll send in a pic of the damage.
Hey- it could have been worse. I got back from the maritimes the weekend before where I had been flying a couple of kilometers out in the Bay of Chaleur at trolling altitudes (exaggeration, but you know what I mean!). And like they say, any landing you walk away from is a good landing!
Anybody have a spare motor they are willing to part with?

Blue skies,
Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Loose mag plate and score marks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:17 pm

The previous week!
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Nice!!!! More!
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:38 pm

Karl,

I had the same thing happen to my flywheel. The motor actually ran fine, till I went to idle. I just quit. I found that all four of those magnetic plates came off!! Don't know why, but I was glad it was just that and nothing more. Could have been really bad timing, like flying over water. I was pulling the power off because I was too high on approach to land at the airport, so I just glided in for a uneventful landing - great timing for that to happen!!

Ray,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Fred Flinstone experience. I too ran over my foot a month ago and haven't flown since. I refuse to fly until I get brakes installed. I ended up breaking my ankle, so it has taken awhile to grow back. Series II gear are HORRIBLE for that very reason. They should never have sold that type of gear without breaks in the first place. Course, it probably doesn't help that I was flying in my sandals at the time <stupid>.

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:39 am

just curious Karl, did you have the heavy crankshafts in your engines? i know that isn't what failed, just curious....

Hey Shannon, no tales of flying this summer? surely your newly restored bird is ready to go?
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge