Pilots Log

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby ozzie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:18 am

series 1 and 2 with no brakes.. first get rid of the spats. second, wear good gloves. to stop or turn just grab a wheel or two. of course doing this at high speed is asking for trouble but at realistic speeds it works a treat. i used this method and find it is much safer than using your feet. on the old mk1 with spoked wheels i found i could lock both wheels. and pull up pretty quick. also if you have to use a sealed surface only put 5lbs of pressure in the tyres. it makes it much easier to handle better yet stick to the grass verge. just my tuppence worth ozzie.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:16 am

I fortunately got to fly for 30 minutes before I found my self in some thermally conditions.... had a hawk join me and decided I'd rather be on the ground than possibly fighting the strong turbulent conditions and winds that hit about noon....its only my 3rd flight so Im not quite ready for the rowdy stuff yet.....about 45 minutes after I landed the strong winds hit and dust devils started kicking up.

I motored on up to 1000' AGL and enjoyed the view, and then figured I should have brought the camera.....next time.

Then took it down to half power and a shallow descent at 35 mph IAS as I was enjoying the view around the field and discovering all the neat things you can not see from the ground.

I was very gentle with the turns, but decided that I need to learn how to turn and burn with my Lazair eventually and will have definate goals on future flights to practice banking her up for those thermals when the time comes.

For now Im doing nice and easy till I get all the kinks worked out of her....and I'll wait for my chute before I get more aggressive.....havent pulled any noticable G's yet.

To land I went to idle at about 300 ', and lined up the runway playing the power as required to get to my aiming point on the runway.....but surprises do happen and at 30' the right engine quit.....so after using a lot of rudder I decided a nice touch down would require the other engine off as well, so I grabed the switch...got zapped for some reason, and flicked it off....and the landing was perfect dead stick.

The reason for my engine out on my reliable CDI ignition was that a wire come off from vibration..probably why I got zapped..as a matter of fact the whole CDI unit came off its mounting and was hanging by the plug wire....I had over tightened the nut holding the module to the engine and vibration did the rest....a sheared AN bolt.

So I think I will try to find a new mounting location on the non shaky side of the engine mount for the CDI unit.

I also noticed that my Vario had all its mounting screws very loose, due to vibration as well.....Moral of the story....locktight those screws without the elastic retaining nuts or safety wire and tighter is not always better.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:09 pm

JPXman @ Aug 14 2005, 01:39 AM wrote: just curious Karl, did you have the heavy crankshafts in your engines? i know that isn't what failed, just curious....

Hi Tyler,

They are the large shafts. I have not had the time to take the case apart yet, but it feels like it sheared right at the joint where it meets the face of the balance wheel. I can only think that repeated torque applications to the prop hub nut or magneto hub nut caused a small "possible" defect to get larger to the point of failure. There is no fore- aft play on the prop shaft, even though it is broken.
Does anybody know if the output shaft is some kind of press fit or welded assembly.
Eventually I'll get to it and see for myself, but right now I am curious.
I might be able to make it to Alexandria next weekend- unfortunately by car. Will you be in the area?

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:44 pm

Pop In a New Crank ! You will be all set !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:31 am

Hi Shannon,

I know it would be a lot cheaper to stick in a new crank, but I have already started hinting that a couple of new motors under the Christmas tree would be really, really nice for Santa to unload from of his sled! I guess I am going to have to be a real good boy.

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:39 pm

I can't imagine have a set of spanking new set big crank engines. What would a couple of those cost Santa ? Don't you have a spare engine you could utilize in the meanwhile for the fall flying season ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:19 am

I wish I had one! My collection consists of 3 spare motors, all with broken crankshafts. Even if I had a crank, all I could cobble together out of what I have is one engine.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:38 pm

Why not have the old cranks welded, resurfaced and heat treated.

So you have some additional backups.

They could even be beefed up in the weak areas.

Are the cranks breaking because you are not running the 26" props?

You are running prince P-tips right?

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:20 am

I visited my 2-seater this past week in alexandria, met up with bill reed and george elliott, both lazairheads from ottawa! we spent a couple of hours cleaning out the engines and carbs (been sitting for almost 9 months, and in the rain for a week). no sooner did we get both engines purring like kittens, did I notice that a crack had developed in the left hand plastic wheel half. BUMMER!!!!

A few flight hours earlier we had replaced the right side wheel halves with new ones from John Nagy, now why we didn't take the time to replace both sides - who knows! either way, i had to hang my head in shame and return to edmonton with no new time in the log book, sorry folks!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Ray:

I am not too sure if I would trust a weld job on a part like that. I think I would always be looking at that engine with trepidation. I have always flown with P-tips, however, the guy I bought it from hadf been flying for a couple of years with those big crank breaking wood props, and it might be possible that it caused a weakness in the metal, and that it was luck that let me fly it for two seasons before finally shearing.

Tyler:

Sorry I couldn't get back to you in time, wish I could have helped out. I might have a spare for you in the near future, and could get it at least to Alexandria. Give me a couple more weeks to see what happens at my end, and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge