CDI Ignitions

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby pittsnut » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:34 pm

Well got over 20 hours on my new CDI ignitions and love them. Better starting, lower idol, a bit more power, say goodby to the old points and condensors. I have pics of the instalation if interested, contact me at d.george@sympatico.ca or by phone at 1-519-534-1388

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:08 pm

Cool, good job, glad you are happy just like me and my CDI conversion using the Wildfire kit.

You also used the Wildfire Kit or something else?

I also love my CDI....its supperb....no more worries about ignition.

One thing I might suggest though on your install;

I overtighted a nut holding the plastic CDI to its case and was surprised how the plastic broke instead of deforming.

My solution was to use a big hose clamp around the whole black unit to make sure it can not come out of its housing....now it is captive even if something gets loose.

I would check that and come up with an additional way to secure it in case the vibration breaks the plastic lug area on yours.

Maybe silicone glue it and zip ties or hose clamp on yours as an added measure of safety.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:40 am

pittsnut @ Aug 17 2005, 01:34 PM wrote: Well got over 20 hours on my new CDI ignitions and love them. Better starting, lower idol, a bit more power, say goodby to the old points and condensors. I have pics of the instalation if interested, contact me at d.george@sympatico.ca or by phone at 1-519-534-1388

Cheers

Are those P-tips mounted on small or large cranks ?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:51 pm

pittsnut @ Aug 17 2005, 01:34 PM wrote: Well got over 20 hours on my new CDI ignitions and love them. Better starting, lower idol, a bit more power, say goodby to the old points and condensors. I have pics of the instalation if interested, contact me at d.george@sympatico.ca or by phone at 1-519-534-1388

Cheers

Nice P-tips. What are top rpms. Are you using Tiny Tachs or Lighting coil Tachs. Also do you have large or small cranks ?

Postby pittsnut » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:45 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the kind words. I also love my CDI's, I bought the kit from Wildfire as well. John Nagy also bought a kit and loves them, what a difference.

I like your ideas, I also looked at the way the ignition block was bolted to the square piece of channel they use on the pump body. I removed this and used a piece of 1/8 aluminum angle, (see pic.)

I mounted it using 2 bolts and rubber washers, also used nylock nuts so I would not have to over tighten them. It has worked out just fine. I also put some Goop over the wires and ground to ensure they would not vibrate loose.

I hope others are finding enough loot to buy these ignitions, they are worth every peeny.

If you are interested, contact Bill at Wildfire in Winnepeg, at 1-204-889-3473 the part number is, B-7595 and they are refered to as, the Mark-3 CDI conversion kit.

The reason they where made wass to reduce the amount of labour costs associated with ignition repairs. The unit is build in Italy by Duccati, very well made.

Hope this helps.

Ray, its great that you made the switch. Hope you are flying everyday you can.

Later

Dale
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:34 pm

dale

send me a groovy pic of your machine for my website if you like!

Tyler's lazair tracker site

who's is the other in your pic of your flyin, GUX?

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby pittsnut » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello,

Sorry for not getting back to this thread.

I have been flying almost everyday.

Now that it's winter, the weather has not been the best. Can't wait to get out on skiis.

The new CDI ignition sets are fantastic, lower idle, more power, better starting, just the best. I have over 40 hours on mine and they are fantastic. What a relief from those pionts and condensor days.

I will post some new pics soon. I have lots from a Lazair fly-in we had.

What a blast!!

Later

Dale
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Postby pittsnut » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi Shannon,

NO, John's has a doubler on both sides, my guess is for strength, he never had JPX's, he uses 185's with the new ignitions.

We both fly series 3's, both recovered, both with P'tip props, don't waste your money, they work well but cost over $1200 cnd, we bought them when a guy from this site said they gave single engine performance, that was not the case.

The main things I have found with the CDI's

1. better all around starting.
2. lower idle
3. a bit more power, (hard to say how much)
4. and just that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing the points are gone.

Talk to you later.

Dale
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Postby yankeflyer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:52 am

Hey Dale

How much weight is hanging on the nacell- including the prop, in the picture at the start of this thread.

Looking forward to those fly in pictures.

Miles
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby pittsnut » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey Miles and Shannon,

Sorry for the delay, I am not sure of the weight, the P tip props are very light, I sprung for the lighter carbon fiber, don't ask the price...big $$$$

As for performance, its great a bit better than anything else I have tried, the CDI's are fantastic and worth the loot.

The CDI's also do not weigh very much in fact, I think when you get rid of the old mag, coil, points, and condenser, I think you gain a bit.

I flew around 60 hours this year, 2 long trips over 1.6 each, my ass did get a bit sore, could use some additional foam in the seat. My engines never missed a beat, touch wood, (I am touching my head) so I am very pleased afetr having 2 engine failures with the old system.

Well go to go.

Talk to you later

Dale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pittsnut
Popular Lazair Member

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge