Two seater

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:50 am

It's a done deal! I got that two-place last week and part of it is sitting in my garage right now. I must admit that I was upset when I missed out on the chance to buy a series III from a friend in upstate NY, but wow am I glad now. I put the wings up at my parents place in storage for over the winter. Each time I go in the garage I can't believe that I have a two-place, and to think that for twenty years it was less than 4 miles from where I grew up. Check out the tree that had grown up to the left wing d-cell, who knows, perhaps it helped to carry any snow loads and keep the weight of off of the struts.
I have started to take apart and inspect the engines and it looks like they are fairly low time. I had heard from some local guys that they estimated that it had about 50 hours total time. The second engine is siezed so I am taking my time and using a lot of penetrating oils to soak it and try to free it up without forcing anything. These had 32x20 props on them.....that seems all wrong to me for use on JPX engines. Are those the 185 crank snapping props on the wrong engine?
The guy that I bought this from used to be an ultraflight dealer at one time and that's why he had the two-place. I was able to swing this deal for $2000! While I was talking to him, he said that he had a series III stored in a house basement that he would sell as well. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with him.

Another Lazair rescued,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:54 am

Dave,

I'd be interest in contacting him.

E-mail me off line at gcurtis@excelgraphics.com

Thanks,
George Curtis
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shorty » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:24 pm

nice find Shannon

Anyone reads the non sense on the new found "plastic?"

Tuff lite or sumthing

6 or 7 mil saran wrap ...imo HEAVY --

Dale Kramer you listening ? Can you comment?

thanks .
Shorty

Postby tommyb » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:06 pm

id be 2nd in line for that series III if you dont mind
tom
tommyb
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:49 pm

I finally got may Lazair II manual for my bird and now I know what my kit number is......B034. The fuse is almost done, now to start on the wings. Hopefully, I can get it in the air next summer.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:54 am

uscgairdale @ Dec 24 2005, 07:49 PM wrote:I finally got may Lazair II manual for my bird and now I know what my kit number is......B034.  The fuse is almost done, now to start on the wings.  Hopefully, I can get it in the air next summer.

Dave

nice !,where did you bye bolts and nuts ?.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairkid » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:14 pm

;) Dave,
Nice job, I beat your arms hurt with all that pollishing. I know mine did!!
Thomas B)
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Shannon, I must admit that poliching it was not my first choice, but considering what shape it was in I didn't have to much of a choice. If I keep a coat of wax on it, it should not only stay shinny, but help to fight any future corrosion.

I have gotten some new goodies for the plane over Christmas and I am pleased with my progress so far. It can be difficult to stay motivated on a project sometimes. However, I continue to be excited about this machine. I got a used main wheel from Phil at LazairWrecks and today I plan to make some 7075 T6 rings to help strengthen them. Tyler, I can see where changing a wheel later on would just absolutely suck so I am taking a little extra time to try and make it a bit better.

I am also in the process of aquiring Tom Walter's KFMs. I just couldn't commit to the JPXs with the lack of parts out there so I will be selling what I have.

Ola, I get my hardware from any number of suppliers here in the US:

aircraftspruce.com
wicksaircraft.com
california power systems (800-airwolf.com)

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:12 am

thanks dave,hardwere in sweden is very expensive so i will check whith your suppliers.have you take off the cylinder`s of the jpx and check them out ?.

shannon,is there somebody in us that can make two new box sections ?.

dave,shannon keep up the good work.i can see that you not are afraid to work !!!!!!!!!!.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:08 am

For now, all I can say about my wings is that they are an unknown. Right after I bought the thing, I put the wings in temporary storage at my parents house until I could make some more space out at my place.
I do know that they ribs are in sad shape, I haven't decided to to repair or replace them. I was leaning toward replacing them, but I am not sure now. One piece of the trailine edge is bent and will be replaced. The wingtips are trashed, but I just got some fiberglass ones from Mike.
Going of off my memory, I remember that the D-cells "looked good" as far as corrosion was concerned. The bottom line is that I won't know for sure until I get one here in my garage and tear into it. I do know that I won't cut any corners, so trying to be in the air this summer may be very optomistic, but I'll just keep working on it and see what happens.
Shannon, I thank you for the advise and cautionary posts......

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge