Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Been out of the restoration game for a wek or two now, but I did get back at it again today. I finnished up the second wheelpant and just about have my instrument panel all done. The only thing left to do is to get everything all wired up, but that will most likely be one of the last things to do.

As for my engines....I plan on getting some Powerfin props and dialing in the correct RPM. I am convinced that there are no leaks in any of the gaskets and that the carbs are correctly set up. It must be overproped.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:50 pm

I want to getsome of the Ultraflight logo decals remade so I can put some nice finnishing touches on my Lazair. Here you can see what I've got in mind for the pod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:15 am

dave, i understand your frustration, however can you explain this:

JPX engine - maybe 18-20HP - turning the EXACT same prop (well, same manufacturer, same advertised size/pitch - 34/20)

my engine turns that prop at 4350rpm on the ground on the test stand in thin mountain air

KFM engine - advertised up to 25HP - with TUNED PIPES no less - turning the EXACT same propeller

your engine turns that prop at 4500rpm on the ground on the test stand in SEA LEVEL AIR....

i think you should find a local motorcycle shop who'd be willing to put your engine on a dynomometer and get a HP reading - i suspect you're only getting 18 or 19HP out of your setup. i'd hate to have you spend all those bucks on a new prop only to find out something is wrong with the engine... do both your engines have the same results?

on the flip side, perhaps i'm getting 25HP out of my JPXs with standard can exhausts ;)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:14 am

I'm making progress again at B034. My second d-cell has been restored by taking it apart and gluing the nose ribs back in place. Once again, if you are restoring a Lazair you should really think about at least looking inside to visually check yours.

Both ailerons are covered. The right wing is recovered and is complete except for the wingtip which needs some fiberglass finnish work and painting. The right wing just needs some corrosion work and the long bolt mod installed before covering.

I've bought a small lathe in order to turn some small parts like the mod to replace the P2 plug that makes up the top ruddervator hinge. As I make them I'll crank out some extra just in case anyone out there needs that kind of stuff.

Is that light that I see at the end of the tunnel?

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:16 am

Mmmmm. The shinny ribs look sweet. Thanks for the advise on that one Shannon.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:20 am

Looks great Dave, super job on the whole project !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazairiii » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 am

Very nice Dave. All that hard work is coming together. Keep the pics coming. We like to see everyone's handywork.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 pm

did you convert your garage to a low speed wind tunnel as well shannon????

PS: nice work dave. ever figure out the problem with the KFMs?
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks guys.

As for the KFMs not making full power I'm pushing the "i believe button" that they're just overproped. My next course of action is to test the engine with a mikuni pumper carb instead of the ovc carbs. My last option would be some powerfin grond adjustable props. I'll need to build another test stand because the last one didn't make the move with me.

Here's a pic of the bottom external capstrip.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:55 am

Red Capstrips.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge