Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 am

Shannon,

I've noticed that you have primer on your wing also. Are you concerned about the tapes pulling off of the primer? I thought that it may be an issue so I left the tape areas bare aluminum for a little better adhesion.

I'm planning on putting my right wing back together today......with the trailing edge mod.

Thanks for the advise,
Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:24 am

Dave the wings were prepped, primed with zinc chromate, then sprayed with auto paint. The perimeter areas of the wings where the doubled sided and capping tapes were applied were left bare metal with the exception of the box sections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 am

Dave you may develop your own method for installing the sharp trailing edge but here's what I did in brief. I clamped 1x2's to the ribs to hold alignment and ran a string line to help prevent any belly's or twists. I made new attachment tabs that were slightly larger than the originals. The rear edge of the tabs terminate where the TE has the bevels. The trailing edge was attached to the existing 1/2" trailing edge tube with small head rivets while the tabs were riveted with regular rivets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:57 am

I decided to go ahead and do the trailing edge mod. That mod, along with the long-bolt mod and a Lazair 2 wing should make it a very solid structure. For the most part, the right wing is ready for a recover.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:02 am

Ready for recover.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 am

Can this long bolt modification be done on the Pioneer models (possible future engine change)? If so what does it consist of? Where can one find an AN bolt that long? and what diameter is it?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:10 am

Russell,

If the nacelles for the pioneers are like the ones for 185's then it should be the same. The size bolt that is used is an AN4-80A available from Wick's Aircraft Supply. The darn things cost almost $14 each!...ouch.

I think that in the rebuilding section you can find a thread about the mod. Lazairflyers has some pictures of it too. I've got copies of them if you need them.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Dave,
I really don't know what the 185 nacelles look like. I'll have to research this. Right now the mounting bolts are 3/16" but I feel there is sufficient "meat" to go up in size. Let me see what I can find but if I can't come up with anything I may take you up on the offer.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:09 pm

Here are some of the pics that I've got...
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm

And another.....
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge