Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Here's a picture of the 185 nacalle on Shannon's test stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:29 pm

The nacelles appear to be identical. Is that sheet plate which is attached to the spar box gusset and rib gusset a part of the long bolt upgrade? Is the thick fitting plate also a part? What holds these tubes in place?

I'm full of questions, I'm in the process of searching the archives.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:29 pm

beautiful job dave - two things to think about adding:

- "corner smoothing mod" - adding a little gusset on the top side of the sparbox, from the corner to the root rib - if you notice, that top corner on the sparbox sits "proud" from the line that the tedlar will naturally take to follow the wing ribs. add a piece of aluminum, make it smooth, and then the tedlar won't have a point load there - many holes in many lazair wings there

- aileron spar rib supporter - where the aileron spar connects to the foam rib, add a piece of aluminum above and below this point, so that as the aileron rib applies load to this rib, the rib doesn't break right at the attach point - do this on the opposite side of the aileron spar to stiffen up that rib.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:25 am

G'day Russell there is a difference betweeen the pioneer and rotax nacelles rotax are a bit beefier and abit larger at the mount plate.
If you can't get your hands on the long bolts either an3 or an4 (special order from the states here in Oz) i used some stainless steel rod and turned a thread on each end and drilled them for a safety pin. add a compression tube between the nut plates and works like a charm.
Ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:29 am

Ozzie,

Sounds like something I can handle as long as the mounting holes are in the same place, it should work.

Thanks,
Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:05 am

i made a quick drawing of what the long bolt mod consisted of when i did it to my wings.

T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Tyler, what was this attachment created with? I can't open it.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 pm

wow that didn't work. ok the attachment is at work, i'll re-send tomorrow in a picture format that everyone can see.

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Hey thanks for the advise, Tyler. The above pictures are not of my wing. I suffer from CRS sometimes and can't remember where I got those pics, but I think that they are of Tom "rusty KFM crankshafts" Walters' Lazair elite.

Been working on getting my fiberglass wingtips all squared away for the installation as they really didn't fit on my wings all that well. Once that's done I can hang my wing in the garage and start on the left wing.

Is that the light at the end of the tunnel that I see? Maybe, I don't want to get my hopes up and get jerked back into reality....
Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby aroguetrader » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:57 am

Hey guys...while looking over my Lazair documentation this morning, it dawned on me that you may not have the parts catalogue...aka report No. 83014...titled...Lazair II, Two Place Microlight Trainer." It is a collection of 19 exploded drawings with part numbers, that are different from the drawings in the assembly manual.

If you would like a copy, let me know and I'll scan the pages.

- John
aroguetrader
Lazair.com Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge