Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:23 pm

Last weekend I was able to finally get one of the KFMs running. Well, sort of. I could just bearly get it started and then I couldn't turn more than 2500 rpms before it became fuel starved. One thing lead to another and before I knew it the carb was all apart, the reed valve assembly was apart, and I staring at a rusted crank! I really really wanted to break something. You can see from the pictures that they have not been taken care of for quite some time.

Here's the test stand that I made. It's not pretty, but it works quite well.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Here's the carb..... Does anyone know what make and model it is? I think that it's a Dellroto, they were what was used on the 30 HP version.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:30 pm

Reed Valves....
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:34 pm

How about this crankshaft! Trust me, I'll never buy anything sight unseen agian.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:38 pm

holy cow! caveat emptor for sure!

welcome to the world of rebuilding engines. The good news is that you can still probably get parts for these bad boys in the states from that dude in florida. rusty cranks can be shined up, new seals installed, new gaskets made, and then you're back in business.

What I'm finding as i rip apart the JPX engine further and further is that 2-stroke engines are really easy to rebuild. Once you get them all apart, cleaned, and new rubber/gaskets on hand, they go back together in about an hour!

Keep at it Dave, a good racing motorcycle shop can clean up that crank for you and split it and put in new bearings.

Tyler

PS: good work on the ruddervator bellcrank, looks pretty similar to that FEA analysis me and a buddy did on that exact same part ;)
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:48 am

where did you buy those engines?.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:28 am

I'll just say that I did not buy them from a company or store. I'm working on replacement parts right now.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby ola » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:13 pm

uscgairdale @ Jul 1 2006, 08:28 AM wrote: I'll just say that I did not buy them from a company or store. I'm working on replacement parts right now.

Dave

why dont you just contact the seller and tell him.half the mony back.

just specifie the bearings and sealings here and maby we can help you find it.

NEVER , buy a engine without photo from the the inside !.

ola.
ola
Popular Lazair Member

Postby aroguetrader » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Dave,

I can't help you with the crank, but I did find a used reed valve unit in my stash of extra parts. It's kind of grimmy, but otherwise looks to be ok...but I'm not sure how to evaluate its integrity...but it's nothing like that nasty mess you've got now.

It's yours if you want it....let me know.

John
aroguetrader
Lazair.com Member

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 am

Thanks for the offer, John. Thank goodness that my reed valves are actually in excellent shape despite what the pictures show. I would still like to have some spare parts though. I'll send you a PM.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge