Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby huronflyer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 am

Your cap strips look good.
They prick my conscience...
The pictures are a helpful reference.
thanks.
drh
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 am

Is it possible to set up my membership so the thread
will notify me of new messages?
drh
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Now I just need to straighten up the wire bundles and a few other odds and ends and then I can fire up my engines.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:08 pm

I incorporated some military style cannon plugs to make taking the engines off easier. That way if I ever trailer this around I can assemble and disassemble it much quicker.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:09 pm

My zero time engine just about ready to go.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 pm

Everything is all set now and I'm ready to run the engines. All that is left is get the airworthiness certificate and I'm good to go.

Here's a copy of my electrical system.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Looks good - as long as all ground returns come to one point, and that point is close to the battery, then it will be fine. Grounding is so important - and the more complicated a system gets, the more important it is.

Can't wait to hear those KFMs
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Dave,

Just looking at the front on view of your plane and I noticed it sitting on the nosewheels. I don't remember seeing Tyler's two place sitting like that, and was thinking that the weight of your tuned pipes might have moved the CG a bit more forward than it might want to be for flight. I guess you'll check that before you try?

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:06 am

You're right about the plane sitting on it's nosewheels in the photo. If I lift the tail up off of the ground it will stay on it's nose, but it will also sit back on it's tail too. Tyler has told me that he thinks his is tail heavy and so far my CG/W&B calculations show that mine is actually toward the back also. I thought for sure that mine would be far more forward than it is.

The CG page on my two-place manual is incomplete. It looks like Ultraflight forgot to fill in the blanks in a sentance or two rendering it useless. Because of that I am making the assumption that my CG should fall between 12 and 15 inches just like any other model.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:49 pm

yes (sorry i didn't reply to the email, might as well reply here)

mine is definitely tail heavy - i think it has to do with the fact that compared to a stock SERIES 2, the seat on a Lazair 2 is much farther back. so then the gas is farther back.

I think for most if not all aircraft that is a good rule of thumb for CofG vs. chord unless you have an exotic wing (strange shape or high aspect ratio). 12-15" is 20-25% chord if i did mental math correct.

I find my CofG is so far back on the 2-seater that with power off, it pitches up on its own and if flown too slowly cannot be corrected with control input alone - engine thrust is required to get the nose back down. Or, if i just lean forward the nose comes down.

so few 2-seaters are flying and those that are (5 as far as i know excluding you dave) i am only in intermittent contact with one owner. it will be nice to get more info from dave when he flies his.
JPXman
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge