Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby flyalaz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:54 pm

Guess the bottom part is the same thickness extrusion

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:39 pm

hey dave

just looking at your picture of the wing, just want to make sure you do have those top and bottom plates that are part of the "long bolt mod" lying around somewhere. they go on after those sparbox parts, and i'm guessing thats why i don't see them in the picture.

are you going to put in the sharp trailing edge as well?

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:39 pm

hey dave

just looking at your picture of the wing, just want to make sure you do have those top and bottom plates that are part of the "long bolt mod" lying around somewhere. they go on after those sparbox parts, and i'm guessing thats why i don't see them in the picture.

are you going to put in the sharp trailing edge as well?

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi Tyler,

Are your brackets any different from what Dave has? Any improvements?

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:56 pm

karl

its the bottom bracket that isn't pictured that is the critical bracket I think. it holds the one side of the caliper and the brake line. the one on the top, I just eyeballed - but i was lucky because my axle was already drilled for the brake set-up, so i just had to copy the three holes (the top bracket was lost somewhere along the way for me so i made them from scratch).

I think the critical dimension for you will be the distance from the centreline of the two bolts that go through the axle, to that hole that the bracket attaches to. thats the distance that sets up how the brake pads meet the brake disc.

when i made that top bracket, I had to keep removing material from that corner that's close to the horizontal tube that is bolted to the axle to get it to fit properly. other than that it was really easy to make.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi Tyler,

I think that drilling the hole locations might be accomplished by actuating the brake on the disc to set the caliper in place. The hard part is going to be trying to figure out how to attach a disc onto my wheelbarrow wheels. I have stock type for the rebuild project, but no spares for this one. It's going to be interesting!

Looking at the drawing, it shows two 320 bolts go through the axle to hold the top and bottom plates on, and one more for the caliper itself. Does the bottom plate also pick up the bolt common to T218 as well?

Cheers,
Karl

Snowed here again. Looks like it's almost time to put on the skis!
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Tyler the only plates I see referenced in the manual are G234's. The sharp trailing edge (from Carlson) is really nice. Worthwhile improvement in my opinion. I wonder what would need to be done to match up the sharp TE on the wings to the fuselage mid section ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby JPXman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 am

yep, those are the plates - the same plates that came with the ultraflight long bolt mod for the single seaters. they bolt in a different place because the engines on a 2-seater mount in a different place than they do on a single seaters wings.

as for matching the trailing edge, that's a problem i didn't notice until i assembled the 2-seater for the first time with the covered wings :o and a problem i haven't corrected.... but now you've got me thinking...

Tyler

PS: karl i found a pic of my brake setup after i installed my homemade bracket on top. the bolt that goes through the axle and through the other tube at 90 degrees does not bolt anything to the brake system, it is separate. my top plate probably doesn't conform to the "hole is X distance from the edge of the metal" but it should work ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:25 pm

Tyler, I do have the top and bottom plates for the "long bolt mod" you can see them in the pic below.

I have some sharp trailing edge, but I'm not sure yet if I am going to put it on or not. Shannon, what specifically is the improvement of putting it on? I don't think that adding some of it to the center section would be to big of a job.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:28 pm

After removing the surface corrosion, I've sprayed on some self etching primer. It looks better and will help fight any future corrosion.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge