Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm

B034 "Stands again" on it's own. The tail restoration is almost done.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:35 pm

Here's how I found the right wing.....

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 pm

It's looking a lot better. My progress as of late has me encouraged to keep at it. The only depressing thought is that I get to restore another wing. What else am I going to do this winter?

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:03 pm

Is your sharp TE from Carlson Aircraft ? Sharp TE from Carlson is custom made just for Lazairs (thanks George).

Why add it ? It gives the trailing edge an incredible amount of strength and it really helps make for a neat covering job. The 1" 3M 9469 VHB tape fits perfectly between the attachment rivets and rear edge. Also the TE will not scallop when the Tedlar is shrunk.

True the trailing edge material adds a little weight, is not really fun to install, and does cost $$. Despite these negatives I can't see not installing it on any plane I re-work or recover in the future. Anyone covering with fabric would be nuts not to install it.

To make the sharp TE line up properly the wingtips need minor modifications and a new rear gap cover has to be made for single seaters. I don't know what you would need to do on your II fuselage mid-section.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby flyalaz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:55 pm

Hey Guys,

Any chance of getting the dimensions for the bottom brake plate?
That's the last item needed for the conversion.

Thanks,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Karl,

Sorry about the delay in getting you these measurements. A piece of 1/8"x1"x3" angle stock would be a good place to start. I would use 2024 T3 as it's a bit stronger than 6061 T6, but it costs more. I like working with that alloy, but that's just my personal preference.

I won't try to describe it as a picture is worth a thousand words.....

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:57 pm

This second picture should get you the rest of the measurements for the bracket.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:09 pm

Shannon,

Sounds like the extra strength and rigidity for the trailing edge is worth it so I guess that I'll put it on.

A short piece riveted to the center section might line up with the trailing edges of the wings. If that looked funny then I could always cut up some sheet aluminum and use my bending brake to make a custom piece to get a good fit. It will of course be red.

I've got some of the fiberglass wingtips and they are a bit long (I've heard that others have had the same issue) so the trailing edge may actually make a bit less work for me in the long run.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 pm

Thanks Dave,

Tyler too! This information will come in handy this winter for sure. I'm starting in on the rebuild fuse next week, so this info is just in time!

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:10 pm

Dave, when it's all said and done you will be glad you did it. I'm not familiar with Mike's tips. Maybe Tyler can give some additional insight.
Shannon
SHANNON

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge