Disgraced Lazair

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby russell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:34 am

Tip D-cell dent caused by crush direction pressure from tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:38 am

Uder side of right wing tip. Scrapped ground pretty good. Damged skin and Tedlar from leading edge to and including aileron leading edge. actual damge to D-cell. Went from tip to about four feet inboard. Can't figure how this happened considering the main wheel on this die didn't touch the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:40 am

Another angle.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Morning Russell,

All repairable damage. One shot I don't see is the actual spar inside the wing looking through the Tedlar where the wing is crumpled. Lets see the spar and see what damage the actual spar sustained. Hopefully it's confined to the outer skin and not the spar itself, but let's see anyway. All the other parts are no problem, just time and money.

George Curtis
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:35 pm

George, immediately following the photo taking I removed all the Tedlar and the portion of the D-cell skin at the wing tip. I very, very closely inspected the spar web, cap strips and especially the joints. I found no evidence of damage except at the joint at the very tip which is so minute that it is easily overlooked. The upper strut tube attachment fitting is sound to the spar web. Once I remove the skin I'll inspect closer. I will post pictures along the spar.
I was amazed at what little damage there is considering the impact, as evidenced by the condition of the wheels. The tubing I can see would be easily bent but to fold over the small front wheel as it did signifies a heffty lick. The axle; however, did not bend the slightest bit. Odd I thought.
The right wing is the only one damaged. The left didn't touch the ground.
The skin on the tip section of the D-cell has to be replaced. The main portion of the skin running from the root rib would best be replaced probably but a cover skin over the damage from the root rib to just past the engine mount may be sufficient. If I have to replace this portion of the skin it may well be the coup de grace. I am going to open it up if for no other reason than to re-glue the foam ribs inside. The other death-blow could be the two tubes running from the nose to the axle to the rear portion of the boom (left and right pair). Enter George Curtis.
There is a good bit more of damage that will have to be repaired, but minor compaired to what is in the photos.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Russell,

The curved nose pieces and rear tubes are not a problem. I've made a bunch of them for some of our fellow Lazair lovers. Anyway, good to hear that the spar itself is in good shape. The rest is easy to fix. If you decide to move forward and you need spar box parts (see below) or anything else, let me know off line.

gcurtis@excelgraphics.com

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:37 pm

The other spar box parts...
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Pilots Lounge