Odessey

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 pm

First I want to congratulate Paul for doing the Lazair such an honour by getting an award two years in a row!!

I just experienced a personal odessey... twenty years ago I dreamed of flying and I dreamed of flying out of a special little field south of North Bay, ON: "South River" CPE6.
Its a double axis grass strip(s) 2800' 30 -12 & 22 - 04; 150' wide (plus another 100' at least outside the pilons. It was a former WWII training field.
The people there were very friendly and supportive, including a powered glider guy.
My thanks to Mark form North Bay helping me, feeding me and giving me a place to stay.
Also, a former Lazair dealer, Peter Bonnell very kindly helped us locate the field and made contact for us to have permission to use the facility. Last but not least he gave invaluable advice on assembly, etc.

With some good cyber sync I hope to put some pictures up on "Lazair.com" BTW I use Linux and it may be a test of my skills.

Dave
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:25 pm

Taking off into sunset.

drh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:27 pm

Sweet place to land.

drh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Venue fits the plane and the plane fits the venue.

drh

PS One small thing - a MILLION grasshoppers, open your mouth for
drive thru
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 pm

When I boot to XP - tomorrow perhaps I will try and u/l a sort 20 sec video Mark took.

drh
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:36 pm

I am not getting the climb I would like...
cannot give an accurate rate...
If its a 100' per minute its good.

When we take it back out of the box we can do some time climbs back at CYEL.
I would like to have a VSI, BTW they are a bit pricy.

The RPMs are decent for P-Tips 4600-4700 static / 5000 in air.

Perhaps the ailerons and deflection need rebuilding, They are showing signs of wear.

Dave
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Is it necessary to have the windshield righ to the edge of the gap-cover?
Some are lower than mine. It would make it easier to assemble by myself if it was slightly shorter; plus it makes it a bit tricky getting the plane into the trailer.

So does air coming under the bottom surface create serious drag.

Do wing farings help reduce significant drag = better climb.

drh
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:26 am

hi daver

with no sides on your enclosure i don't think chopping the top off your windscreen would have any negative effects, as the air is pretty turbulent just past the windscreen edge.

i've been doing a lot of reading, and i think the single most effective thing you can do to clean up your lazair (after adding some sort of pod of course) is adding plastic streamlined fairings to your wing struts and tail brace. The challenger ultralight figured this out back in 1988 apparently. their engine off sink rate went from 500ft/min to 330ft/min and cruise speed increased by 7mph just by adding strut fairings.

would i do it on my 2-seater? probably not because that thing is like a flying 4x8 sheet of plywood. but i will be getting them for my EC, you bet.

Tyler
PS: good work daver! keep your butt in the air where it belongs! we are all like fish in a way. take a fish out of water and it is out of its element. take us out of the air and we are out of our element.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby huronflyer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Tyler,

TX for tips.

I think Paul used Mylar on his struts. Perhaps I can order some plastic covers
from Aircraft Spruce in Toronto?

Dave
huronflyer
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:14 pm

i am getting opinions that our lazairs fly at too slow a speed to take advantage of faired struts.

i am now envisioning a test setup in the back of my pickup truck with a lazair strut and some form of drag measurement in pounds-force.....with and without fairing at 40-60mph.....

i would need two tracks on ball bearings to let the strut slide freely in the airblast, and a spring scale to measure force...........where could i find something like this........oh yes me and daffy's engine test stand!!!!!!!!!!!

stay tuned....
JPXman
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge