Page 1 of 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:38 pm
by Don
Hi Guys,
Back in February of 06 I bought a basket case Series III. After hundreds of hours of drilling, cutting, bending, riveting, rubbing, polishing and just plain scratching my head in frustration. I'm nearly finished with the rebuild on A774. A word of encouragement to Joe who just bought the Elite, take your time go through your plane completely it will be a very rewarding experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:44 pm
by Don
Hi again Guys,
My first atempt at posting a picture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:51 pm
by Don
Both wings in the trailer. Each had storage damage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 pm
by uscgairdale
It's exciting to be nearing the end of a Lazair restoration isn't it? I know that I've enjoy restoring mine and posting pics along with getting good advise on here. If you post your rebuild on here, who knows, it may help out some other Lazairheads too.

How were your d-cells? I know that mine seemed "ok". That is until I looked inside! (I must sound like a member of the "d-cell police" by now)


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:20 am
by Don
Everybody was right about the D-cells needing to be opened.
Here's what I found.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:10 pm
by Don
Another shot of what I found. It looked like the wings had been stored outside and collected water for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm
by Don
Debris I found in both D-cells

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 pm
by Don
Here's the photo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:51 pm
by Don
New ribs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:16 pm
by uscgairdale
I'm glad that you took a look inside your d-cells. The condition of the nose ribs don't appear to be to bad, but they obviously need to be re-glued back into place. Mine "felt" like they were in the right place, but the glue had become very brittle and totatly useless. Now that they're back together the d-cell "feels" much more solid, maybe it's just a boost to my confidence. In any case, I'm very glad to have spent the time to make sure that everything is good to go.

Check out this outboard nose rib! You can see the brittle glue and where all sorts of critters had eaten their way inside the wing. I found three old bees nests inside this d-cell.

Keep us posted on your progress,