Mylar

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby ozzie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:50 pm

guys i still need one tape for my recover and that is the thin silver foil that is used to protect the foam tape from u/v the supplier got it wrong and gave me some wide and thick aliminium tape that they won't take back. does anyone have a number and brand for this one. whew summer has just arrived in sydney with a vengence yesterday had the hottest november day ever 43deg c. looks like the same today 7.45am and 35deg c already glad i live on the coast worse for the inlanders. with the continuing drought looks like we may be in for another scary bushfire season and the skycranes havenot arrived here yet.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:10 pm

I will be using 3M's 850 silver foil tape in 1" to cover the ribs and 3" for all the edge finishing tapes.

George

Postby ozzie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:27 pm

thanks george for the quick response
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:16 pm

Mylar, Tedlar, Fabric...whatever ! Take pride in your work !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:19 pm

Steve (Ossie),

You really don't need to use silver tape, unless that's what you want. Most any solid color vinyl tape will offer adequate UV protection to the tape/adhesive below. Because you are using clear Mylar, if you paint your ribs (which you should because they can benefit from some UV protection too), then use a tape that's the same color as the paint. It really sets off the wings in flight!

I found some 1" red 3M tape in fairly large rolls. I'm not sure, but I think it was 3M electrical tape that they offer in several colors.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:20 pm

Shannon,

Very pretty! Is this one of your restorations?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi Chappy, yeah this is the Series 3 fuselage I've created from a pile of crashed junk. It can be done !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:03 am

Gee, I guess Mylar is not "done" yet! (Copied from the CarConnection Website)

<GI Choppers Borrow NASCAR Technology

According to the American Forces Press Service, a laminate developed for NASCAR to protect racecar windshields from rocks and debris soon will be drafted for fighting in the Middle East. It will be applied to the windshields of Army helicopters to protect against sand erosion and other damaging impacts. The material, a Mylar polyester coating applied in sheets, will cost about $100 per installation according to Army engineers, versus $3000 to $5000 to replace a helicopter windshield. Put on in layers like accessory window tinting, the scratched and pitted outer layer can easily be peeled off to expose successive "clean" coatings. What works on NASCAR racers works as well on choppers. -- Mike Davis>

Sorry, couldn't help myself,

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:10 am

Shannon,

Boy, you must have put some time into that job! Does she fly as good as she looks? I bet you ARE proud of the way it turned out.

BTW, what paints did you use on the tubing and fabric?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:28 am

shannon, wow so cool be proud. that looks exellent. i had thought of covering the ribs with some coloured mylar that the hangglider builders use in their leading edges it is about a sixteenth of an inch thick available in different colours. it can also be used for the gap covers, but this rebuild is way overdue so i'll do somthing like this for the other set of wings i'm building. i don't think i'll cover the single sided tape on the edges as the type i'm using is made for out doors so will just cover the foam. that thin silver tape is available in different colours as well.

as for mylar it is used in so many applications i have found so far but not limited to. bagging for fibreglass layups, coatings on advertising posters as an anti graffite coating, used for protecting plastic moldings on aircraft interiors. moulded to tables in your local takeaway food shop window tinting protection for solar panels laminating hi tech sails on yachts printing stick on lables takeaway food containers, it will be exellent for protecting windscreens. it is still used as a covering material on the unmanned high altitude solar powered aircraft. getting your hands on the corrrect type is another story. dupont seem to know all the tricks and head you off. i.m surprised that dale was allowed to use it back then.

chappy any specs known on the nascar material. i,ll see if the V8 super cars here use something similar.
ozzie
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info