Want to buy Lazair

Post what you are looking for

Postby Lazair_guest_please_registerbsel » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:07 am

Happy New Year, and thanks for a great website. I'd like to find a Lazair project or ready to fly Series III if possible. I've responded to a few online offers but they seem to sell very quickly...
Also, does the forum feel it's possible for a "newbie" to take on a reasonable re-build project?
Finally, what "in production" ultralight do you feel might be comparable to the classic look and appeal of the Lazair in the "low and slow" category?

Thank you, BSelleck
Lazair_guest_please_registerbsel

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:43 pm

I take it you've checked the for sale section.

Im a newby to Lazairs and feel that if you are reasonably skilled and get advice from this site you should be able to tackle anything you might encounter.

Its not particularly difficult, but you should always do the best job possible in the construction, since its your life that hangs in the balance if you do shody work.

There are also EAA clubs thoughout the country and they would also be able to help with suggestions if you encounter something unussual and need suggestions.

I dont think there are any ultralights like this in production anymore, but there are other old ones like Mitchel wings etc kicking around.

I personally think the Lazair is rather unique and has no equal.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby bselleck » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:00 pm

Thanks Ray. I've been drifting on line looking through the various forums for info on a project for sale.. Nothing yet though. I am seeing a lot of helpful tips etc. on what to do with a Lazair when you finally get one!
Happy flying..
bselleck
Lazair Newbie

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Where are you located BSelleck ?

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:19 pm

Its my opinion that the quality and strength of construction in a Lazair makes it head and shoulders above the rest.

The sound of twin engines purring together, with the shiny wings and the clear covering make it a show stopper every where you might appear.

There is also added safety in having a second engine to keep you aloft should there be an inflight failure.....something which no other UL I know of has going for it.

The Lazair is also simple and relatively inexpensive to maintain since it is made from commonly available aircraft grade materials.....and the engine is still in production.....although for firepumps....but you can still get parts.

Most importantly, the Lazair is a safe and fun aircraft that has about 900 copies of various models floating around, and after all these years they are still airworthy if maintained or stored properly.

The price is definately great as well.....Where else can you get such an awesome aircraft for 1000 - 5000 dollars?

I just don't think you can find all this in any other reasonably priced ultralight out there!
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:54 pm

BSelleck,
What rayjb60 says is true. I have a 1980 Lazair and I will never part with it. The safety record for the lazair is still among the best. My two cents worth, Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Shorty » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:09 am

Brain, Where are you located? Might be a series 3 for sale in SW ontario possibly.

Also there was a Lazair Eltie down neat Guelph for sale But i think he may of sold to someone near Brantford. Does anyone know this for sure? HE watned 7k for it and it had minimal time on it and was in a barn, Was kinda pricy for those big engines that had not run in 20 years i thought. It also had the mono float.

Shorty
Shorty

Postby bselleck » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:43 am

I am in Boston now, but am moving to Tucson at the end of the year. (Thanks for the help on where to find a Lazair, there's just something about them)...
I keep thinking I'm going to see one at a garage sale somewhere !!

BSelleck
bselleck
Lazair Newbie

Postby JPXman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:21 pm

Don't be surprised if you do. A friend of mine in Alexandria bought one at a farm auction for $900 I think. Motors and all!

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Return to Wanted to buy