[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Will the flying season ever get here?

Will the flying season ever get here?

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby lazflyn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:06 am

:unsure: Picture added below :blink:

Hello to all! It's been awhile since I've posted anything. I'm starting to really miss hearing the sound of twin 185's with Prince props. Here is summer flying in my area. Shorts, sandals, mountains, lakes, and a Lazair ...ahh the good life.

This has been a long winter. I haven't flown my Lazair since last October. I am suffering major withdrawals when I look at all the fun I had last summer with my fantastic set of wings. I gathered some totals for those who like numbers and fun facts:

For 2004:

211 hours flight time
38 mph ave speed
8000 miles traveled
13,660 ft msl altitude record (engines had more in them, I needed a little john)
Flew from home base and landed at the most remote place in the lower 48 states
Landed on a solid sheet of salt (looked exactly like ice, but tasted different)

Those were some of the cool things that happened. Here is a list of the "interesting" experiences:

2 engines failures (both preventable - sparkplug cap came off, points corroded)
Getting stuck in the mud - in the middle of nowhere
Taking off with rain on Lazair wings (tried - didn't get much more than 5 feet)
Watching sacred Tedlar get torn up in an afternoon hailstorm up in the mountains

Of course there was a lot more that happened during those 8000 miles. For the most part though, I had a great first year owning a Lazair and am very glad I fly what I fly. The cross country flights were a lot of fun for me. Yes, 38 mph is not going to get you anywhere fast. In fact, it may not even get you anywhere (if the wind is blowing) Took me all day to get nowhere coming home from one such cross country. I just couldn't resist flight seeing around Palasades lake (the lake in the picture). Time I got back sight seeing and got fuel, it was past the magic hour. I ended up getting caught in the afternoon prevailing winds trying for home.

But what fun it is to be flying along and not only see a forest, but hey, look at that tree... see the squirrel...oh wait, there's a deer over there. I think I'll give it chase. No, I don't want to bother it. But that fox on the other hand... Let's fly up this canyon. Looks a little narrow, oh wow this thing turns on a dime. Man this thing takes forever to get up to that mountain peak. Maybe I can find some lif... WOW...there is some grrrreaat lift right here. I think I'll stay and circle for awhile. Cool peak. Look at that glacial lake right there. The water is teal green. Neat. Wow look at that valley. Holy cow I'm pretty freeaakin high. I wonder if I can fly this airplane with the engines only...Yep! both engines I go up. Left engine I go right. Right is left. Sweet. I love this Lazair. Time for some sideways flying along this road. I'll bet that car is wondering how an airplane can fly sideways. Look at those cool props a spinin'. Those engines sure do run smooth...

Everyone should own a Lazair.

George, I'm looking forward to some formation flying THIS year.

Calm winds,

MarkDJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:29 pm

Hi lazflyn,
Sounds like you are really enjoying your Lazair. What's stopping you from flying on some of the nice winter days? The air is usually more calm and with skiis you can land in more places. And the extra power from the engines (because of the dense air) makes the Lazair perform much better. Just have to dress for the cold ( a windshield would help keep some of the cold air blast off). :ph34r:
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:04 am

Hello Mark,

What an incredible first year you've had. I enjoy reading about your exploits in some very remote places. I'm not so sure I'd go into some of the places you've gone, but it is nice to know you feel confident in the Lazair to take you there and back safely.

As an update on my progress, I'm waiting for a little warm weather to shrink the Tedlar I got on the ailerons and wings just prior to the bitter cold weather. Then I need to apply the finish tape over the Tedlar. I also need a little warm weather before I can apply the Poly-fiber and paint to the wing tips and get them finished. Other than those two things, I want to get the wheel pants painted, wiring in the two tacks, run the pitot tube for the ASI and finish up the gap covers. Not really alot left to do, I just need some warm air in the shop to do it.

I hope to be ready for spring flying here before too long.

George Curtis
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:46 am

Hi all, i've gotten on the mylar and are getting close to finishing off the minor bits and Georges comment on the pito tube lit a light i did not even think about a asi just what is everyone using? the old tube and disc type fell off years ago and i never bothered to replace it. the regs state i must have a functioning vsi.. most of the ones i've seen don't even go down to the cruising speed of a lazair let alone the stall speed.
Sounds like Mark is a real Lazair addict. onya Mark!
So, were are all the vids of Lazairs flying on skies guys! OZZIE B)
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:00 am

:unsure: Picture added below :blink:

Daffy,

Two things are separating me from flying right now. #1 is stupidity. That seems to be a common theme in my life. Two is I don't have a helmet with a cover that allows for some comm to take place. The airport I fly out of gets busy at times with a flight school and corporate jets in and out. I prefer to fly knowing who else is out there in the sky. I have flown in some very cold conditions, but my face seems to not like playing the role of aircraft windshield. Nor do my feet and knees like being the nosecone of the airplane. Oh...just thinking about it makes me shivvvvveeer. What's Mike Mckusick's number again...

Back to the stupidity part (the #1 reason to not fly). Well I managed to find a way to damage the spar box. I refuse to fly it now as the damage is very structural even though there is little damage. How the damage came about was the da... the wonderful series 2 gear is too close to the cg. The landing was great till I hit a side marker with the wing that I didn't see. This veered the plane off the side of the road. The plane flipped up on the nose and that was that. As far as damage goes: Both wings came out great except for the spar box got a little crinkle. Anyone ever had to fix a spar box?

George,

I would ask if I could come down and see the progress, maybe learn a little. But, I don't think I will. Seeing your plane will make me want to "Shannon" my airplane (Very nice restoration by the way, Shannon). I will fly with you when the time comes. I think I will definitely be the camera plane though.

Ozzie,

Just to rub it in, I've got a ASI that is stamped Lazair on it. It goes down to 10 mph. Works great too. I found it to be a bit more accurate than the Hal "tube" type. I really only used the airspeed for a climb reference. There are several asi's on the market that range from 0-80 mph that would be great for Lazair flying. In all my cross countries I basically kept my eyes on the GPS, the fuel, and any sources of lift (oh yah, the view out the window was nice to look at too).

Calm winds,

MarkDJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi lazflyn,
So I am not the only one that slightly damaged the spar box in a similar way. I hit one those big round bales while taxing to go flying (I have the wide gear as well). Something caught my eye which made me look away just for a few seconds and (maybe it was a little wind that pushed me off course) as I looked up I tried to stop and turn at the same time. Didn't work. It caught my wingtip and buckled my spar box. Lucky for me Ultraflight was still in business, I ordered what I needed and repaired it to new condition. No other damage was ever found. I felt like an idiot after that happened! Gotta pay attention when in a Lazair or any other plane.
I used to do most of my flying in the fall and winter. I had a snowmobile and the equipment to keep me warm. A full face helmut is a must! If dressed warm you can fly comfortably as low as -10C. That's where I draw the line and sometimes when you go up 1000ft it is actually a little warmer (because cold air sinks). Winter time is usually very calm and all those fields to land in if engine quits. The lazair seems to performs best in these conditions. Never have to worry about overheating the engine, props have better bite in the dense air and the lift from the Lazair is awesome. sorry I'm rambling on and on...
Just a note, never use alchohol type gas line antifreeze, use the other stuff that sounds like "isopurple" (don't know how to spell it) "Isopurple" doesn't separate the mixed oil from the gas and it doesn't attack the gaskets in the fuel pump or carb.
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:36 pm

Postby Shannon » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:45 pm

Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazflyn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:03 am

lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:21 pm

Shannon
SHANNON

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge