Pictures not acceptable?

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby lazflyn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:39 am

That's cool you found the article about my Lazair. I have to tell you the look on everyone's face was priceless when I told them I brought a Lazair (I trailered it to the fly-in). They were very amazed as none of them had ever seen one in person before. A few of them pulled me aside and said: Keep that flying. I felt proud and like a owned a very unique aircraft.

Here is another picture of Yellowstone at 12,000.

MarkDJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 pm

Wow Mark, very awesome pics.....you should be proud of yourself, youv'e really accomplished something great!!!!

I'll bet National Geographic would do an article on your trip.

Are you allowed to land in Yellowstone? Is there an airstrip for flyin campers?

What was your longest voyage in a lazair...total trip not counting stops for fuel?

When are you doing Yosimite in your Lazair?

I want to come for that one, since I'm in Southern California.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm

lazflyn @ Mar 1 2005, 06:39 AM wrote: That's cool you found the article about my Lazair. I have to tell you the look on everyone's face was priceless when I told them I brought a Lazair (I trailered it to the fly-in). They were very amazed as none of them had ever seen one in person before. A few of them pulled me aside and said: Keep that flying. I felt proud and like a owned a very unique aircraft.

Here is another picture of Yellowstone at 12,000.

MarkDJ.

Yeah, you need to let us know about articles like this so we will not have to search around for them. Ha Ha, yeah I bet those guys were surprised to see a real Ultralight. Until you came along they probably thought real UL's were a myth. Now your really blowing some minds flying up into the stratosphere. All that on 19 too ! No matter where you go the Lazair will be a smash. Like Ozzie says they will walk right by a "plastic parrot" to look at a Lazair.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:38 am

Mark,

Isn't amazing the attention lazairs get at fly-ins?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:52 am

Ray,

As far as I know you can't get any permit to land in Yellowstone. Too bad as I would so like to strap on my floats and land on the many lakes in the park. I'm sure they'd let me land, as they probably wouldn't know till I was already there. However I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me take off and that landing fee I hear is not cheap. :blink: I would rather land where I'm welcome so we can all enjoy the "fragile" freedom of flying.

The longest flight I've done was from Logan, Utah to an airstrip in the backcountry of central Idaho called Chamberlain. Total flight time for the whole trip was 19.39 hours. This was split up into 4 days, so it wasn't too difficult. The distance traveled was 737 miles. My average speed for the whole trip was 38 mph. I was fortunate to have a flying fuel truck in that I have a friend who has a Cessna that would make sure I got to where I was going. I refueled from him twice. That was the best flight we have both had (my friend and I) since we have got our planes. My friends' only complaint is he wishes I would have bought at least a hundred mph plane. Someday, I will. But for now, the Lazair is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

As far as Yosemite goes, I didn't know I was going there. Would look great from the air, as long as the 185's keep turning. :D I have actually thought of going to the Grand Canyon. There is an airstrip that is pretty close to the rim that you can still fly into. Then you can hoof it 6 miles to the rim and camp. Pretty good view from what I hear. Looks like it would be a lot of fun. Especially if I can get some others to go as well. Now if I can just get National Geographic to fund the 27 fuel stops to get there...

Chappy,

The first fly-in I flew in to was quite the experience. I flew in just because I've always wanted to fly into a fly-in...in my airplane. So I did. As I was taxiing up to the ramp, everybody came walking up. I couldn't even park the thing as there were so many people surrounding the Lazair. After the million question session was over and everybody had there fill, I was treated to a free lunch paid for because they just loved my plane. So who ever said there ain't no free lunch.

Here is a picture of Chamberlain at sunset with our birds tucked in (tied down) for the evening.

MarkDJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Chappy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:20 pm

Mark,

Way back about 1982, I was contacted by a fella near Eire, NY about the possibility of bringing my Lazair to his annual fly-in at his grass strip. He was an old coal miner, but his hobby was aviation and he was really excited about ultralights. He wanted to get a few to come to his fly-in so he could get some of his GA pilot friends interested in them too.

I told him I would like to attend but couldn't afford the gas from Virginia, so he offered to pay me a couple hundred dollars to come. I took him up on it, spending several days there with my Lazair put up at night in his hangar. He made the Weedhopper and Quick sit outside! It was a ball, but I'm not sure the GA guys were all that happy about us clogging up the pattern, but he was extremely pleased to have us there.

After-wards, I popped over the border to visit the Kramers. Dale and I spent a day flying around Port Colburn and his house on the beach on Lake Erie. When I was leaving for the states, Dale gave me a set of floats! I had been dragging my Lazair around the US to Oshkosh and Sun n' Fun for a couple years by then, and as a result Ultraflight had sold several planes. I didn't want to be a dealer (I did become one later) and wouldn't accept any payment from him, so he gave me the floats in appreciation.

I attended an air-show in Hagarstown, MD around the same time. I was the only non-professional "performer" there, and was invited to attend the briefings with the paid guys. I was scheduled to fly about the middle of the air-show between the aerobatic guys. All I did was takeoff and circle the field twice. I may have made a few very steep turns, and some very slow flight where I appeared from the ground to have stopped in mid-air. When I landed and began taxiing in, the spectators rushed my plane to get a closer look and ask questions - effectively shutting down the air-show while they tried to get everyone off the taxiways and back behind the fences. It was crazy! I heard later that the professional guys were not too happy about the whole thing. I wasn't invited back the next year.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:10 am

Chappy,

Thanks for the great stories. It's great to hear about the response from the crowds from such a simple airplane, flight, and pilot (non-professional). It just goes to show that the size or the cost of your new toy does not add to the level of satisfaction and enjoyment you can have. You don't need to spend a lot to have a lot of fun. I'm glad to hear that you got to meet the Cramers. From what I have read, Dale is to be commended for not only designing a great aircraft, but also in producing it in such great numbers. Thanks Dale Cramer and to you Chappy for helping to promote such a great aircraft!

Did you ever get to mount the floats? I would like to try float flying this year. I am trying to design a retractable gear for my floats so I can get some use out of them this summer.

Here is a picture of landing on salt. It looked like ice, but after landing I got out and tasted the runway....It was a bitter-sweet landing. :rolleyes:

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Chappy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Mark,

That's a really cool picture! Hope you got all the salt off your plane.

I did fly my series 1 with the floats. The performance, even with my re-drive Pioneer's, was pretty marginal, especially in hot weather. It could, however, get off the water very well. With the regular Pioneer set up, it was very hard to even do that. I believe that the desire to sell floats, which are very popular in Canada, was the driving force to go to a larger engine. One of the guys at Ultraflight had some knowledge of the Rotax 185, and they found that they could purchase it locally. Although it was a very old design, they felt it was well suited because it produced it's rated power at a fairly low rpm compared to most 2 cycle engines. Also, Dale had an aversion to reduction drives due to complexity and cost. The Lazair already had a cost penalty just by have two engines, compared to most of their competitor's one.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Pilots Lounge