[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Must not of panned out!

Must not of panned out!

Lets see who know what

Postby Redavni3 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Found the following article and thought it would add a bit of historical knowledge to the Group.

Red
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redavni3
Lazair Newbie

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:41 pm

Good article, thanks for posting it. Yes the WAM (Westlake Aero Marine) 342 was a miserable disapointment and embarassment. While preparing to fly at Sun N Fun with these engines the factory demonstrator threw a crank (with prop) for all the World to see. There were high hopes that this engine would be perfect to power the Lazair II 2-seater and the advanced single seat models (Elite, SS). At the time this article was written the available choices for lightweight Lazair engines was limited. Ultraflight instead adopted the twin cylinder JPX PUL 425 and KFM 107E as standard engines. Neither of these engines were perfectly suited for the Lazair either.

S
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby JPXman » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:03 pm

phooey I say! The JPX is perfectly suited for the lazair if you are a giant pilot like I am :) Actually, I would go so far as to say that the JPX is perfect for a performance single seater, and the KFMs are the best choice for the 2-seater. My 2-seater is just a bit underpowered if carrying anything more than 300 pounds of pilot and passenger. With just me in it (275lbs) it is a marginal performer. However my series III with JPX is a rocketship, and with full enclosure should break the sound barrier. I would have loved to try Tom Walters' KFM engines on my 2-seater...

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi Tyler, I think you understand what I meant. If not then here's a long winded explanation of my opinion. The JPX is a great engine and performance with them on the single seater is super. They are smooth running reliable engines. My point however was the JPX was just a bit heavier than what many (Americans) considered to be "ideal". Ultraflight thought they had a winner in the WAM-342 as it had a HP close to the JPX while weighing nearly the same as the Rotax 185. As a consequence of the problems experienced with the 342 Ultraflight resorted to the JPX and KFM for the Lazair II and emerging "Elite" prototype model.

As a consequence of the added weight, power, and performance of the JPX and KFM engines the airframe of the Series 3 was subsequently upgraded. The "Elite" was born. These modifications pushed the Elite up to a weight close to, or in excess of, the 254lb FAA 103 weight limit. Ultraflight, unlike its major competitors tried to keep the Lazair (single) a truely Part 103 compliant Ultralight (for American sales). Usage of the JPX engines (in America) along with necessary airframe upgrades limited the amount of accessories (like the full enclosure) one could use and remain truely legal. The Series 3EC even with Rotax 185s was "danger close" in exceeding the 254lbs limitation.

As you mentioned the Lazair II has marginal performance with JPX's and we know the KFM's have outrageous fuel consumption. Were either of these engines "Perfect" all things considered... I'd say no but I guess Ultraflight did the best they could at that time.

Postby Billm » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:39 pm

OK I'm lost-- The article says that the WAM engines are "horizontally opposed twins"
but the picture looks like it has vertical-cylinder singles (kind of like a 185).
What am I missing?
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:11 pm

Hi Bill, the picture is just for reference in the article. The Lazair in the picture is equipped with Rotax 185s.
S
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chappy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:31 pm

Bill,

The engines in the article's picture are good old Rotax 185's.

When I have a few minutes, I'll try to follow up with some history on the Westlake engines and Ultraflight's plans to become their North American distributor, and why it didn't turn out.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:18 pm

Steve are there any other Lazair related articles in those old issues of Ultralight Flyer ?

S
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby xgary » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:00 pm

I flew with a guy over 20 years ago in a 2 seater and i forget the engines. His name was Glen Kitchen and he was a Lazair Dealer in Woodstock Ontario.

Tyler he would make you look like a dwarf as i think that he was well over 300 lbs and fat and i flew his 2 seater with him in right and i was about 165lbs at that time. And to be honest i think it was a great flying lazair . although i do not recall details it seemed to perform pretty well.

I know a few guys that flew with glen and ordered a kit right on the spot. After flying with a huge man like that in the flying lawnchair many were sold.

:)
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby Billm » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 pm

Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Next

Return to Lazair Trivia