Parachutes on Lazair

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:02 pm

The issue of emergency parachutes is on my mind, since my first flight is arriving
soon.

What are people using?

Are you even carrying a reserve chute?

I know some have ballistic chutes but other that those, I have not idea what sort of second chance people are giving themself.

My plan right now is to carry a reserve chute that I already own, but Im not sure how much that would really help should the unimaginable ever occur.

Im thinking I need a throwable chute that can support the entire aircraft with me in it, to make it practical to deploy a reserve and have it actually help matters and soften the impact to the point where I might be able to at least limp away from it.

Any ideas?

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:13 am

Hi rayjb60,
I really don't think a throw out chute is going to work well, unless you are really high up, so you can jump out. I wouldn't think your chute would be big enough for the plane and you together. A ballistic chute, sized for your plane, would give you a larger safety margin (closer to the ground than any other chute).
The Lazair is a very strong plane, but other unforeseen things can and do happen, in this wonderful sport.
If I were you, I would break down and buy some kind of ballistic chute for your plane, just to increase your safety margin.
I have seen many ultralights fly over the years and hardly any of them wear chutes of any kind. Not what I like to see.
Since 1983, I have always had a chute on my plane, and never had to use it yet! Hope I never will. I am now in the process of looking for a new one as my old one is out of date now. New technology now uses rockets, which means if something gets in the way of the rocket, hopefully it will bounce off the object and carry on, pulling out the chute completely for inflation. Pretty cool, eh?
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info