Damn nutplates!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi Shannon,
I lent my manual to my dealer years ago, so that he could help someone else. I have never got them back. I manage to get the dealer's manual for the Lazair, but the enclosure installation manual was lost. Now that I see you have a copy, is there some way I can get a photocopy of your set? It seems we have two Lazairs now with enclosures and no manual. I know they won't be a lot of use because you can't order anything, but there may be some info that may be useful to us. I will pay you for your troubles. Thanks Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi Daffy,

Bad news on this one. The enclosure installation instructions I have are missing section 2. Section 2 is the actual "install instructions" portion with part numbers, diagrams, ect.... Section 2 consisted of some 34 pages. I have already scanned and e-mailed Tyler section 3 which deals with flight considerations of the enclosure. Section 1 is just general info. I'll be happy to send a copy of what I have via regular mail or scans via e-mail.

Shannon

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:00 am

Hey Shannon,

Could you send me a copy as well? Or maybe post them in the files section?

Thanks,
Karl

Postby JPXman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:16 am

The rear side of the enclosure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Billm » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:00 pm

Back to the tubing for the engine nutplate replacement--
It looks like 1/2" diameter (OD) tubing/solid bar with 10-32 internal thread on each end, but what material would be good for the tube/bar stock?
Bill
Billm
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:47 pm

Well, actually, the tubing size is unknown, I could measure it for you.

I just took my 4-80 bolt to "metal supermarket" and looked for a tube that it fit just nicely inside, and had a good looking wall thickness. Then I got 4' of that, which turned out to be Al pipe, and slid it inside another tube until it fit with some room for adjustment. I think the bigger one was just 1/2" OD tube like that used everywhere on the control rods.

The smaller pipe is put right through the sparcaps (need to enlarge the old 3/16" hole in the sparcap that the old #3 bolt went through to the OD of the pipe), and pushes up against the big plate you rivet over the whole area to replace those tiny aluminum standoffs the nacelle used to go on (oh yah you removed those old standoffs). The bigger tube is placed between the sparcaps and I guess acts as a "safety tube"? I couldn't really figure out its purpose, as you'd have to be pretty adept at measuring to have both tubes in compression at the same time after tightening the bolt. But, I put both in and the mod seems to work really well with ZERO air time :) We shall see this spring :)
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:48 pm

The nose is now almost installed, just ironing out a few bugs to make it perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:19 am

nose is all groovy now, and the enclosure opens and closes really nicely and locks well. put on the registration decals ($20) and installed the radio antenna on the back and ran coax through the fuse tube. The wheel pants aren't installed, they're just there for the picture ;) More odds and ends to clean up, looking at a test flight in less than a month we figure. someday the protective covering will come off the lexan.......
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Sun May 08, 2005 3:56 am

Tyler,

I have a question reguarding the long bolt mod. Specifically the plate that was riveted to the d-cell. What type of rivets did you use? Were they flush rivets with the plate being countersunk?

I will be collecting the materials to do this conversion starting this week, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazflyn » Mon May 09, 2005 1:57 am

Thanks for the great photos Shannon. They make all the difference seeing what everyone is talking about. I guess the only question left is what is hiding underneath the nacell? Looks like the way the monsterous plate is held on is by the ss rivets surrounding the nacell. Am I okay to assume that the only feature under the nacell portion of the plate is the two 1/4 inch holes drilled for the inner tube? No rivets, no bucking, nada?! I like this mod.

Thanks again Shannon, your help is very much appreciated.

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info