Lazair Ribs

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby art » Sun May 08, 2005 10:24 am

Can anyone explain rib construction? It looks to me that the foam is overlaid with a strip of aluminum and wrapped with tape to keep in place. iIs this correct? Is there adhesive between the aluminum and foam?
art
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun May 08, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi Art, where are you located ? What Series Lazair do you have ? What is your experience wit flying.. Lazairs ? Any pictures of your plane ? What condition is the plane in ? You seem to be moving quickly for answers. You can get answers here with an introduction to the group an in-depth explanation of your problems. All to often people pop up with questions and then disappear.... poof ? To make matters worse people often do not follow up on posts or show any appreciation whatsoever for help and opinions given. Membership to this group is free and open but help from the experienced only seems to come if YOU show you are really into Lazairs.

Postby art » Sun May 08, 2005 9:52 pm

I am located in Brewster, New York. Thats About 50 miles north of NYC. I have never flown a Lazair. I am a glider pilot, about 400 flights and a couple hundred hours (lots of sleigh rides). Sold my SGS 1-26 in the past 2 weeks. Bought the

LAZAIR • PARTS FOR SALE • I am parting out this airworthy Lazair series111. It is one of the best Lazairs ever constructed. It out flys all Lazairs in the area. However, I need room for my tractor. It's gotta go What do you need? Posted November 6, 2004

last week.Still have to pick it up. Don't have any pictures, will get some next week when I pick it up Forgot camera when I went up to see it (Dumb). Left late Saturday night on impulse. Stayed at a cheap motel and saw it Sunday. Has quite a Few patches. But what do I know?) It was drizzleing but Richard started it right up, then we pulled it out he taxied it out to the strip behind his house and did a couple of crow hops (I was sold). We pshed it back in. And spoke awhile , took a ride to the local airport. I calmed down by then and said I'd like to come back with a friend to look at it. He accepted that with no problem. A great guy. Within a couple of day's after getting home I knew I had to have it, no matter what. So I overnighted a money order so I wouldn't lose it. Watching the videos on this site can really psych you up.The price was right even if she requires a rebuild.

SHE AINT PRETY BUT SHE'S MY lAZAIR.

I'll post picures next week. I won't be disappearing anytime soon, Tho you may wish I would after a few dozen dumb questions. I have been reading everything on this site for months. And still feel stupid.

I'M DEFINATELY SERIOUS AND WITH YOU GUY'S HELP HOPE TO HAVE
THE PRETTIEST BIRD OUT THERE
Thanks Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun May 08, 2005 11:37 pm

right on art. i was where you are about 5 years ago. had to make all new ribs and totally rebuild my lazair. fire away with the questions buddy.

i made my ribs out of pink home depot styro board 1" thick, and bought a sheet of 4'x8' 2024-T3 aluminum .020" thick and had it sheared into 1" strips (MISTAKE).
if you go this route, shear them to 1-1/8", as the bend you have to put into the "capstrip" eats up 1/8" laterally....with the extra 1/8" the foam stays under the aluminum :) used PL Premium glue under the capstrip to stick to the foam, and then SKINNY "filament tape" to do the wrapping and crossovers. hope that's a starting point, lots more advice :)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Sun May 08, 2005 11:38 pm

Hey Art,

I made my first solo in the Lazair in July 2003 after a year and a half of asking for and getting help from this great group of guys (and gals). It has been the best investment I ever made, and more bang for the buck just cannot be had- period!
Don't be shy to ask a question.

Welcome to the clan,

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby art » Mon May 09, 2005 6:00 am

Thanks All. Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby art » Mon May 09, 2005 6:35 am

Where are you guy's located? Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby art » Mon May 09, 2005 6:37 am

Where are you guy's ocated? Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:05 pm

Sorry Art,

I just noticed your question today! I live in Montreal, Quebec. Where are you?

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby art » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:33 pm

Brewster, New York. That's next to Danbury, Conneticut
art
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info