widening of landing gear on series2

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:28 pm

I don't think Brandon has flown his plane yet ? Brandon ?

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww a pink Lazair???? Now Ive seen everything! :lol:

I have a stock series II with the narrow gear....can someone remind me WHY I would want wider gear?

As soon as Im moving forward I'm flying this lady, so Im not sure where wide gear would help?.....as a mater of fact, isn't a narrow gear even better for tracking?

That gear diagramed is going to place a tremendous torque in the tube around the welds, because of the sweep back of the gear.

It will be acting like a torsion bar, and be nice and springy....It could fail around the welds after a number of hard landings or bumpy runways.

Dont forget a hard landing can easily create 2 G on the gear, and it does not look adequate for many 900lb loadings.

I wonder if anyone here has had a failed landing gear experience.....it would be interesting to see where it broke.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:29 pm

this is why wide gear is better, eh flyalaz? :)

karl was really skimmin the ground on this flypast :)

Tyler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:41 pm

wide gear like on a ser 3 is all you need. i seen many novices flying the ser and 2 narrow gear over hte last 25 years and the gear is not really a big issue. the rudder pedals were a better asset than the wider gear at the time. Cross control was fun in the X winds. slapping your stick around to get tail straight.
If you taxing on eneven ground the narrow gear an be a bit tippy.

but like ray said the wider the gear the more strain somewhere else.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:04 am

Gee Tyler, thanks for sending in such a flattering picture! Just so everybody knows, it was a gusty day, ok, and not cowboy flying that put me in that elegant pose.
When my plane was just sitting there parked next to Steve's wide track, I had to bring the wing back down several times, while the wide track gear just wobbled a little. Stable, yes, but I think the narrow gear is a little more aerodynamic tucked in closer to the pilot, and my little fairing hides it even more. Maybe I will get a chance to sample wide track if I can get all the parts for my other rebuild project!

Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:33 pm

Hey Tyler,

Just going through some of the old pics from last summer, and I came across this one. Most people use the pull starters though, but if you have a talent.....Hee hee!
Are you going to make it back here this year? A little more formation flying would be a blast. Who knows, maybe there will be more this year. Dave should be up and running, and join in the flight too.

Cheers,
Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby jb88ci » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:23 am

always wanted to meet a girl who could suck start a turbine engine.....not a guy who could suck start a rotax.....lol....
jb88ci
Popular Lazair Member

Postby xgary » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:44 am

bwahahahaahahh perfect. !!!!

btw i can hand prop a rotax on a gear box but never been able to on a jpx or a rotax., never tried a pioneer .
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:15 am

Maybe we should start a zingers string! We can always use a good laugh. I don't mind laughing at myself, that way I beat other people to the punch!

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:27 pm

Here's a good laugh !
Shannon
SHANNON

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General