Aileron Hinge - question

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby JPXman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:49 pm

hey lazairheads

i've clipped a section from the assembly manual for discussion. I've been scratching my head over the aileron hinge ever since the first time I put one together. The manual says that the aileron should pivot around a stationary B3 bushing, clamped to the wing bracket by the bolt and castle nut. The rotation then is on the outside of the bearing surface.

Would this not mean that the aluminum hole in the aileron would wear over time? or does the nylon material just wear away first? It would seem to me to be better, if the bolt was fastened to the aileron bracket by a tab, which would mean the bolt would rotate inside the bushing - the bushing being fastened to the bracket on the wing with epoxy.

this is a culmination of two things people said. Bill Reed put the bug in my ear when he said "the problem is not with the bushing, its with the hole on the aileron horn enlarging" and Paul Grandall said "I attach my bushings with epoxy".

what do you guys do? especially you rebuild nazi's out there like me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Lubrication...

Postby Carl » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:56 am

From a mechanical point of view the assembly manual is corect. This way all movement is nylon to aluminium. The last thing you want here is your bolt loose, even if it is captured with a split pin, because then you get movement between the bolt and (f2,f3) then you might as well not have nylon in there at all.
If you want a good mod then you can make the nylon oversize and insert a sleve inside the bush outside the bolt, longer than the bush held captive by the bolt.
But hey are you realy woried about wearing it out again?
Carl

Postby JPXman » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:32 am

no i'm just worried that if the wear is on the outside of the nylon bearing, that the hole in the F36 bracket will enlarge with wear as well.

whereas, if you prevent the bolt from turning relative to the aileron bracket F3 by riveting a tab beside the bolt flush with one side of the head, and epoxy the inside of the flange of the nylon bearing to the F36, then the movement of the bearing is the bolt inside the nylon bearing. then, when this hole becomes enlarged with time, you chuck the bearing and insert a new one, and your aileron bracket hole is still the exact same size and the bearing will still fit nice and tight.

I had some play in my ailerons due to the bearing slopping around inside the aileron bracket hole, i want to try to tighten this up.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:12 am

Glue the bushings in position. You don't want the bushings rotating inside the aileron attach bracket hole.

Return to Re-Building tips and info