[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Pilots Log

Pilots Log

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby art » Sun May 29, 2005 3:39 am

For those of us not lucky enough to have a Lazair flying yet, how about an ongoing Pilots Log Book. Log your flights HERE and share your experiences.
art
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Tue May 31, 2005 2:56 pm

May 29, 2005

This is after my first 2 test flights on May 21, 2005, where I had some tape com up on the leading top side of the wing on the inboard left panel.

Put Lazair together, fixed all the suspect tape on wing with the new White tedlar tape, and used Aluminum tape over that after thorough cleaning with Laquer thinner.

Tape appears to have much more grip than the previous tape....plus I applied extra aluminum tape over that to increase the tape area gripping the aluminum D-Cells. I feel confident that this tape will not come up.

Still waiting for my K&N airfilters to elminate fuel spray on wing etc.

Winds at 500' reported to be 30 mph by a gyroplane pilot who just landed, although it was only 5mph at ground level....elected not to fly, as there will be considerable turbulence with the apparent wind shear, and I dont want to end up flying backwards if the winds continue to strengthen.

A little while later the winds were 20mph gusting to 30mph....Im glad I missed that, as I have not flown in any wind, and 10mph gusts on landing approach is sure to make one find the experience anything but enjoyable.

Using good conservative judgement is the best thing any pilot could do and you will be rewarded for your diligence by many hours of enjoyable flying, instead of repairs, rebuilts and stays in the hospital!

Ray

Thats my log from last weekend....plus some extra....LOL
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby lazflyn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 am

Test flew on Saturday after a lot of work rebuilding. I did a top end rebuild on both engines. Also had to rebuild the spar box on the right wing due to the crappy series two gear and my stupidy. :ph34r:

Flew 3 hours yesturday (memorial day). 1.5 hours in the late morning. 1.5 in the evening. Was great to get back up in the air Lazair style again. I've sorely missed Lazair flying. Nothing quite like it. There was a lot of good thermals. I flew chase with a hawk circling in a thermal. He let me follow him pretty close (I could see his individual feathers) for at least two circuits. Too fun.

On the evening flight, I had a great time flying around the valley. Just after sunset, I headed back to the airport. About 3 miles out, the left engine quit. I had just went to idle since I was way high on approach. The engine just simply quit. No bangs or sputters. I tried to restart first without and then with choke. Nothing. Still had a ton of altitude, so I didn't even add power to the running engine. I came in for an unadventful landing.

I pulled the engine off thinking the worst as it was hard to turn the prop over. I found that the flywheel had failed somehow in that the four plates on the magnet part of the flywheel had all come off?!!! All four! Weird. Don't know how/why that happened. I guess I'll have to order a new flywheel. Very strange....

That's it for now. 3.4 hours Lazair time this year so far.

MarkDJ.
lazflyn
Popular Lazair Member

Postby ozzie » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:43 am

Hi all when you go lazairin don't forget to take your camera, ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:57 am

Very unusual Mark, I've never heard of a flywheel failure. Like Murphy says, "if it can happen it will happen".
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby art » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:28 pm

art
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:12 pm

Going to the field on Friday afternoon with motors fresh tuned, new upholstery, a pressure washer and wax to make the machine sparkle, and high hopes that the weather will cooperate and give me good conditions to take it up for a flight. Should have all the cleaning and tweaking done for a nice sunset flight! I'll send in a report (and pics) of how it went.

Cheers,
Karl
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:50 am

5 hours of solid hangar flying tonight. getting really close to the test flight, now into the final bits and bobs of putting it all together.... what do they say about the last 5% taking 95% of the time?
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby flyalaz » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:29 pm

Seven hours: complete wash and wax, both engines on, one setup complete. Props and spinners on both, new material attached, ran out of usable light. Finish on Sunday and hope for a flight
Fuel stopper needs replacing- should have slacked off the screws over the winter.

Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyalaz
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:37 am

didn't fly Lazair today but got up with the birds and spent an hour in the circuit in a Citabria.....i love flying...most fun i've ever had without getting arrested...

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge