Weight and Balance

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby art » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:44 pm

If you own any (unmodified gear) Lazair, and when you get in the seat, it flops forward onto a wheel, you've got a CG problem!

I read something somewhere about adding weight to tail to..................???????
Can't remember where.
Can anyone comment on weight and balance for the Lazair.
art
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:10 am

i just did the c/g on mine. fill the gas tank place a level on the fuse tube and lift the tail until it is level and read off the scale between 1 and 5 lbs is required i came in at 4 lbs. for the slide rule types i uploaded a Determination of c/g position from first principles, way back so search the postings for this one more. ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby art » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:47 am

I searched Ozzie's posts----go here for his great post on c/g----------
http://lazair.com/forum/index.php?showt ... &#entry327
Thanks Ozzie
art
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:15 am

Art,

The discussions on center of gravity that you dug up are obviously for Lazairs with the original axel placements - Series I and II. The series III had the gear pushed forward a couple inches, so the above scale method of checking CG would be much too little. On the Elite, for instance, when you weigh the tail (pilot seated normally, full tank, and boom horizontal) you should get around 30-35 pounds on the scale to be in the safe CG zone according to my Elite Builder's manual, page 7-15.

The statement also contained there (in the Elite manual) should apply to all Lazair's: "Note that for weight and balance calculations, the C of G limits are 12 to 15 inches aft of the leading edge."

Make sure you KNOW what is the proper spec for the model you are concerned with. I don't think you should have to add weight to the tail to correct for C of G if your plane is in a stock configuration. If you have a modified aircraft, be careful of adding weight at the tail. It can adversely affect the dynamic stability of an aircraft by moving to center of mass. I've read reports where doing this has made some planes that previously had good spin recovery characteristics become difficult or impossible to recover. I don't think this would be applicable to a Lazair, but it might. No one likely knows. I would suggest making slight adjustments to the seats position rather than resorting to adding weight out on the end of the boom at the tail.

As always, IMHO,

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby art » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:31 pm

Am I correct in thinking,the only difference between the Lazair III and the Elite are the wing mods? Thanks Art
art
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:53 pm

Pretty much !

Return to Re-Building tips and info