Radio Noise Suppresion

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Lazair_guest_please_registerBarr » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:24 pm

I am trying to elimate some noise on my handheld. By covering the mic some of the transmitted noise is gone but then sometimes I get feedback, (high pitched squealing). So I put the mic back as it was. Next I covered the spark plug wires with aluminum tape. This reduced the noise but also had side effects. My tiny tack did not work and sometimes the radio thinks the frequency coming off the wires is a transmission from another radio. Again I removed the foil tape. Did anyone have success with their handheld. My friends say my radio transmits ok but it is difficult for me to understand what I am hearing so sometimes I just shut the radio off.
Lazair_guest_please_registerBarr

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:58 pm

Shielded Sparkplug caps and tinned copper braiding over the sparkplug wires reportedly helps to eliminate or reduce radio static.

Postby ozzie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:45 am

Looking for a new radio? have a look at this one it is the VERTEX Standard Pro V i have one to test . so far great, what a well thought out radio will auto flip between two freq. that you preset fits in your top pocket comes with charger lighter plug power adaptor ptt and headset leads and a few more goodies tough alloy chassis you can fit a remote aerial and so far no ignition noise. might be a bit small to fiddle with while you are flying but you can preset nav talk freq. power saving option by going standby until you or someone else talks . worth checking out. will cost me $550 AU so will be cheaper in US dollars. OZZIE
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info