Damn nutplates!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby daffy1029 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:34 am

Hi Guest,
Can you also give us the weight for Rotax 185's and Pioneers? I am installing Solo's 210cc engines and would like to compare weights.
Also does anyone know where to get original Lazair aluminum pop rivets? I have'nt found these anywhere and I find them a little unique compared to most pop rivets. Thanks
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:21 pm

34, 15

Postby Chappy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:34 am

Hi Daffy,

The Lazair used several different POP style rivets. The type you are probably asking about was adopted by the factory after the plane originally went into production. It's know as an AVEX non-structural blind rivet. It has an aluminum body but a steel stem. The advantage they offer is that whereas with a common Pop-rivet the rivet forms a bulb on the blind side to clamp and hold, the AVEX rivet expands first inside the hole, then forms the bulb on the blind side. This makes a more stable attachment, and is especially desirable whenever you are making a repair and the rivet hole is not round and true, but somewhat enlarged and maybe oval a little. The rivet will expand (within reason) to fill the hole and make a much better joint than a common Pop-rivet would. Obviously, they can't be expected to fix holes that have been beat up too much, so use some common sense when making repairs.

The Avex rivet is designed to retain the stem, similar to structural Cherry style blind rivets, but are much less expensive. I much prefer Avex rivets to the cheaper, common aluminum Pop-rivet type blind rivets, especially for repairs. Most aviation supply houses stock Avex rivets.

Try this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/h ... indriv.php

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:37 am

Hi Guest, Chappy
I want to thank you both for the info. :)
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:33 am

How about some pictures of your engine work and fiberglass seat ?

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi Guest,
I haven't spent much time on my plane yet. I have been helping Jpxman with his and hopefully we should have it in the air this week, if everything works out with weather.
I am also working on a portable hanger for my plane, as I want to keep my Lazair in good condition.
I haven't done a thing with the seat yet.
I can't seem to send pictures on this site. I have done it before. I will try again.
Daffy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Here's another view, (got it to work :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:56 pm

and another, Getting the picture?
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:15 pm

WOW, that is a complex set-up. Not being critical rather just noting the design work and thinking to develop this.

What is the weight of the engine by itself ? This is the F-36 correct or Solo ? What do you expect the final weight will be with re-drive, pulleys, mount, and prop. Also what size and type props do you expect to run. I think it was mentioned somewhere that Rotax 185s with re-drives were run with 44" props. The other F-36 plane (Carel's I believe) has three blade powerfin props. Are you going that route instead of long props ?

More picture..... Jpx mans plane too.

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm

Hi Guest,
The square hole on the bottom is for the pull start to go through, in case I need to start manually on the ground. I will be using electric start on these engines because with the enclosure on, I can't restart in the air. As you can see in the previous photos, I will be adding a 2.5:1 redrive and running 44" dia. props. Anybody know what pitch I should start with? Thanks
daffy1029
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info