Damn nutplates!

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby daffy1029 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi Guest,
This is a Solo engine off a paraglider. The F36 is basically the same, isn't it? Except for the carb.? Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:26 pm

I'd bet this engine could be used as a replacement for Rotaxs and run without a re-drive. These engines are what ? 15hp and weigh 23-25lbs ?

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Hi Guest,
You are right with the weight and I was told about 14.5 hp stock. With a few modifications you can get as much as 24 hp. I chose to not do this, as I want reliability first and foremost. And good gas mileage.
As far as direct drive, they have para gliders in this configuration and it seems to work well. I would think this would be a very good engine for Lazairs. It comes with electronic ignition, nikasel cylinders, optional electric start.
An "Heis" electronic system can be installed, which would give you an even stronger spark and the option of a charging system, to run your strobes, radios etc. And parts for the engine are easy to get, as this engine has been around for over 30 years. It is the most used engine in para gliders. I am starting to sound like a salesman. :lol: Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:16 pm

How much are these engines by themselves without options ? Where is best place you can get them ?

Postby Chappy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:59 pm

Daffy,

It looks like you are putting a lot of thought and work into your reduction units. Because I designed and built mine too (for the little Pioneer engines), I thought I might tell you a little about my experiences.

1) Figure that you'll need a little more pitch on your props than you planned on. Because a Lazair flies so slow compared to most aircraft, there will be more prop slip than is usually planned for on most airplanes. I sure wish someone had told me this when I went to make my props. I ended up making two sets of under pitched props because this was an "industry secret" back in the early days (1981), and none of the prop builder Pros would disclose this info to little homebuilder guys like us.

2) Watch out for hardware that works loose, especially rivets.

3) Really, really keep looking for cracks. I ran my redrives for something like 5-10 hours on the ground without any problems. Then, when I started flying them, first the prop shaft broke, then brackets started cracking, then whole flat plates cracked - in the first hour or two! I had to redesign my prop shafts, starter assemblies, and up the thickness of the mounting plates 50%. I also ended up replacing all the rivets with bolts. After all that, they have run many hundreds of hours without a problem, but I STILL look them over carefully before flights.

4) If someone gives you advice on designing your units that just doesn't sound right to you, don't trust them without either getting more opinions, or thinking hard about it yourself. I had one of the major redrive manufacturers tell me that an aluminum prop shaft would be adequate for my design. I was very concerned about fatigue with aluminum and had planned to use steel, but because he was using aluminum for some of his designs, I went with it over my gut feelings. It didn't work, and I had to modify my prop shaft/eccentric adjusted assembly with a steel shaft. I later found out he ran into the same problem.

5) Keep an open mind. I eventually replaced my fabricated aluminum starter mount assemblies with nylon standoffs with bolts running through them, screwed into rubber wellnuts. It was a drastic design change, looked funny to me, but was easier to fabricate, didn't have any aluminum to crack, and worked out great. Even after rebuilding the aluminum assemblies out of much heavier material, they had kept cracking.

Good luck, and keep us informed on how it goes.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi Guest,
I searched and searched and found two used Solo's that came off a paraplane from a dealer. He gave me a fair deal on them.
If you want new, there are places in the USA that you can get them.
Try http://www.mojosgear.com/html/cparts98.htm
http://www.southernskies.net/
Look for links to find other places that may have Solo's 210cc engines.
I thought I seen 2 Solo's for sale on this Lazair site.
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi Chappy,
Thanks for the info. I will take your advice very seriously. I have a test stand to try the engines on and will test them for good length of time before they even see my plane. I also have a weight scale attached as well to measure static thrust.
I preflight everytime I go up, so I will be watching this area very close.

And to Guest, I forgot to mention, I paid $2,000/engine with electric start and redrives. So they are not cheap!
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Hi Guest,
That was in cdn funds.
Daffy
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:51 am

Just wanted to add a note that JCP flew great on her test flight. "Daffy" was a HUGE help the entire day as we waited for the winds to die down from 2pm to 6pm.

Once the wind became tolerable, we fired her up, and after a quick taxi I took to the skies. To my chagrin the ASI did not move from zero to start, but I thought "oh well". the VSI and altimeter worked great, showing a climb out at 300 - 350 fpm balls to the wall, with my 370 pound lazair, 280 pound pilot and a 30 pound tank of gas. not too shabby i thought :)

after two quick trips around the patch i figured it time to try a landing. fast approach and long hold off, followed by learning that my right brake wasn't tight enough and that there was a problem with the right engine! A good combinations of failures, as the left brake compensated for the bad right engine, and the left engine compensated for no right brake :)

after a bit of head scratching, we swapped one of the coils on the JPX as only one cylinder was firing, and we were back in business. I flew for about another 20 minutes, then again for about another 20 minutes. Flew great! a slight bit of back pressure needed in cruise, but the trim tabs should be able to take care of that!

Got pretty hot in the enclosure I'll tell you though! the removeable side windows helped a lot.

So, now to test the engines on the stand a bit longer, install the wheel pants and a few other odds and sodds and should be back in the air soon. Daffy shot a short movie of the test flight and a few low passes, once i get it compressed i'll get "web" to host it on the site somewhere.

Blue skies everyone!

Tyler
airworthy series IIIEC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:31 pm

Nice going Tyler. Looks great!!!

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info